Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday was a first for me on a ride with my buddies, I got dog bitten on the lower right leg. Now to set this up, it goes like this: We had been riding on a gravel/dirt county road and came to a creek crossing where we had to slow down and cross. Just before getting to the creek I saw about 7 dogs, all of whom instantly saw me too and set forth barking and being a typical dog, I kept my eye on them but also kept moving. As I got to the creek I noticed to my right a utility atv with a woman sitting in it and a man standing behind it. Also, there were about 6 more dogs around it. All the same type of dog. They were healthy good looking well taken cared of, but had no collars and were NOT on leashes. As I started working around a huge mud hole in the creek the Alpha dog, bared his teeth and was on my right before I knew it. I looked down about the time he tried to sink his teeth into my lower right leg. Needless to say it caught me off guard, but I kept my wits and goosed the bike a bit more trying to get to the other side of the creek. As I was doing this I felt the unmistable pressure jaws trying to clamp down. As luck would have it, my buddy and I had bought a pair of knee/shin protectors a couple of months ago to wear when riding to help in protecting our legs from thrown rocks, sticks, and more than anything some protection should we end up laying a bike down in gravel or blacktop. Well they also help protect from dog bites....LOL...the dogs teeth couldn't get a good hold and just slid off of my leg. After getting up the other side of the creek I stopped to make sure my buddies would make it across without issue and they did. I checked to make sure I didn't see any blood and after seeing none I knodded to just continue on till we could get somewhere away from the dogs and the owners. Oh also the so called concern of the owners was a simple yell at the dogs to "come here", nothing more, they just sat and watched us even after stopping they never bothered to ask if we were ok. So anyway, I was wondering if any of you here, have had any similar circumstances. My concern looking back is, what would have happened had myself or one of my buddies fallen and the pack had attacked? With a dozen dogs it could be difficult to stop a multiple dog attack. I normally carry a side arm, but on this particular day, I didn't. I won't make that mistake again. Anyway, just needed to vent and pass on a word of warning, you NEVER know what is around the corner, keep up your guard and a cool head, and you should be good to go, it's the unknowns that make trips even close to home an adventure. I wish each of you a Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
DX,
That can be a scary situation! Living in the styx there are lots of big dogs loose all around here, even on the roads. More than once I have either aimed the bike straight for the dogs or lifted a leg up on the seat as I pass. Thankfully you had good gear. Some dogs do back off at the sound of the horn or rev of the engine but it sounds like you were in a comprimised position. Too bad you didn't have the gun, you could have helped the owners get there dogs under control. "Play dead!" Good dog. LOL Glad your okay and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dog Bit

Sounds like you kept your cool..... that's scary....

When I was younger (way younger) I had a 350 Kaw Enduro, 1973, F7, I believe, in any event this small dog always ran out when I went up the street and tried to latch on to my leg.

If you ever road an old big bore two stroke they loaded up miserably when you first took off with them. Well luck would have it, this one day the engine was warm and the dog was hot. He latched on to my pant leg and at that very instant I nailed the throttle. I can state for a fact that dog had never move that fast in it's entire life, I'm sure of it, because those little feet may have only touched the ground three or four times in an entire City block.

Luck would have it, the dog let go, tumbled of into a hedge, "No it did not get killed" however I do believe I broke it, of that habbit.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, the dogs initially and then depending on how the owners acted, self defense from human attack. This is after all Kentucky, where dogs hold a higher value of life than man, especially in the back hills.

Would that gun be for the dogs or their owners? I hate piss poor animal owners.

·
Registered
59 Posts
you sure kept your cool in that one. were it me, I dont care WHAT the reason, if an animal tries to bite me, its dead. I dont care if its stupid, if its insane, poorly bred or trained, if it tries biting me, it WILL DIE.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I had a local dog that chased bikes.. Not anymore..
That stream of pepper spray nailed BOTH eyes.. It was worth the $4 I spent on the spray..

Here in Hitlerland (aka Illinois) carrying of a sidearm will result in worse things than a dog bite, with the right to own a gun taken from you first, and then escalating from there.. Pepper spray, on the other hand, works like a charm on dogs.. When I find one that wants to play the motorcycle chase game, I turn around and give them a lesson on the correct game rules..

I have chewed ass on dog owners, informing them that they're responsible for all damage occured due to their dog..

It sucks, but there's a way to train the dogs, since crappy owners are usually untrainable.:mad0235:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good thing you are ok DX, scary. Just to share the "fear"..one day a few years back a buddy and I (and even after this story, he is still my best friend, lol) were mountain biking in southern Illinois. We got on pretty far on and ended up taking some back country paved roads back to our vehicle. We (or should I say I was pretty dogged out, pun intended). My bud was about 200 yards ahead of me, going around a sweeping turn to the left, he started pulling away and I heard a whistle..needless to say he stirred up about three big dogs that came barking at his treads as he zipped around the corner...then comes me, out of gas and shifting gears fast, asking my thighs for all they had left as I grind around the curve. As soon as I stopped hearing my heart, lungs, and dogs barking, all I could hear was a laughter that only a best friend could exude. I was safe, it was a good one, and we still laugh about that one today..heh..he is lucky I tolerate his antics..lol..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Happy Thanks Giving from the Great White North

Best Wishes to you all!

Happy Thanks Giving from Canada !

It's winter here now and it's when we turn our attention to....planning next year's rides.

If any of you are interested, a few KLR's are getting together in June, no date set, however Northwestern Ontario is the target area, 7 days in God's Country. (Or at least that's what the good Lord told us)

PS...Gunny, if come, you can't bring your gun.... but one us will let you use a pepper spray. Or we could find a token "Honda Rider " for bait.

Happy Holiday

BackRoader

:animal0019:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't you just love best buddies???!!!! :animal0019: LOL.

We are headed to the local Gun N Knife show tomorrow. Gonna grab some pepper spray and a more managable side arm for when we are on bikes, this XD-45 is just too dang much to deal with carrying all day long. Have been considering finding away to mount a holster to the handlebars or somewhere accessible on the bike. Anyone ever given that some thought or actually mounted up a rig???

Good thing you are ok DX, scary. Just to share the "fear"..one day a few years back a buddy and I (and even after this story, he is still my best friend, lol) were mountain biking in southern Illinois. We got on pretty far on and ended up taking some back country paved roads back to our vehicle. We (or should I say I was pretty dogged out, pun intended). My bud was about 200 yards ahead of me, going around a sweeping turn to the left, he started pulling away and I heard a whistle..needless to say he stirred up about three big dogs that came barking at his treads as he zipped around the corner...then comes me, out of gas and shifting gears fast, asking my thighs for all they had left as I grind around the curve. As soon as I stopped hearing my heart, lungs, and dogs barking, all I could hear was a laughter that only a best friend could exude. I was safe, it was a good one, and we still laugh about that one today..heh..he is lucky I tolerate his antics..lol..

·
Registered
7 Posts
What an ordeal! I would have done as others said and helped get those dogs under control, Dirty Harry style. I usually carry when riding. Never know when you'll need it. I got chased by a huge Great Dane once for about a quarter mile. Dog never growled or barked, just chased. I still don't know if he was playing with me or chasing lunch. I have carried a gun every since.

I have a different take on pepper spray. It's better than nothing, but it won't always work on a very aggressive dog. I had a little short halfbreed Black Lab and Basset Hound mix that was tough! Pepper spray would have been like a breath mint if he thought he was protecting me. He never lost a fight when bigger dogs came in the yard, which happens all the time when you live between 130,000 acres of timber company land and a Nat Forest. That dog was a big baby unless he thought someone was too near me.

When I was 13 yrs old, we had a neighbor who would sic his big mean Coon dog on me when I rode my little 175 dirt bike by his house. He'd sit on the porch, drink moonshine, and laugh. (Yes, this is a true story)! I had to ride past his house to get to our back 20 acres to check fence and cows. One day the dog ambushed me and tore my pants leg, almost made me crash. If I had crashed, I guess he would have torn my face off or ripped my throat out.

Next time I rode by, I had a big 20 lb rock sitting in my lap. I slammed it on top of his head, tried to kill that damn dog. Thought I did. The owner chased after me in his truck. I hauled into town, (town of 150 people, one country store), where my parents were shopping. The guy slid up in the old pickup and started threatening my step dad. Ol' Pop asked the guy if his dog had bit at me and torn my pants leg the weekend before. The idiot prouldly admitted it. Typical redneck. (Sometimes the stereotype is accurate). Ol' Pop said the way he saw it, the guy owed me a new set of bluejeans. By this time a little crowd had gathered around to see the fun and that comment got a good laugh. Anyway, my little pot bellied bald headed step dad took no crap. (Kinda reminded me of a Pit Bull when he got pissed off). The guy kept running his mouth. Pop told him if he didn't shut up, he was gonna get his butt kicked by a guy half his size and twice his age. He meant it. Then he told him if his dog tried to bite anyone again, me, him, or anyone else he was gonna kill the dog right in front of the guy and then they'd talk about it. He meant that too. Guy left. Dog stayed on a log chain from then on.

Ah, life in the fast lane in rural Arkansas!

·
Registered
18 Posts
jgas,I had a similar experience when I was young,and I don't blame you for trying to kill that dog.

When I was a teenager I had a 250 cc two stroke enduro bike that I rode everywhere. A hateful old woman that lived down the road from us had a mean dog that chased anything that passed by.This dog had bitten children riding bicycles before and the parents complained to the woman and even called the law on her but nothing was done.
One day I got the bright idea that I would draw my foot up as I was riding by,and when the dog got close enough I would kick his teeth out. Well,he was quicker than me,I missed and he latched onto my boot and nearly caused me to crash. I didn't try that again,but eventually he got hit by a car he was chasing and was crippled badly.Wasn't me driving the car,but I was glad it happened.

Last summer I was riding my KLR "exploring" back in a mountain cove where there's a few forest service roads.On the paved road that goes back there as I passed through a small community of several homes,I rounded a curve and at the end of a driveway there was four grease covered guys standing in front of an old pos ford pinto.They had the hood up,I guess they were admiring the powerplant in the pile of crap. As I rode by,I waved while they glared at me.Not one of them returned my wave.Without making a sound,a huge german shepherd type monster dog came out from behind the "car" and lunged at me.:animal0019: I gunned the engine for all it had and barely outran that dog.
When I got to the end of the paved road,the gate at the forest service road was locked! I had no choice but to go back out the same way I went in.:mad0235: I rode out at a pretty good clip and when I got close to where I knew the beast was waiting I pulled in the clutch and coasted quietly by.It worked pretty good he jumped up and galloped after me but I gunned it and again escaped.That dog was so big I have no doubt he would have crashed me and made me his chew-toy if he caught me.None of the nice gentlemen standing by the classic car made any gesture to stop the dog either,they just kept giving me the stink-eye.They were probably hoping the dog would eat me so they could have my bike.
I usually carry,but that day I wasn't. I won't make that mistake again. I like the pepper spray idea,but I would be concerned about accidently getting the spray on myself.
I like dogs just fine,but irresponsible dog owners I don't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was riding the ole klr down the Oregon coast last fall and I came upon a large dog on the side of the road..short of it was he ran out and lunged at my boots ( I was going at least 50) and died write there. I was OK but left shaken and returned to pull him from the road.....watch out for psycho dogs....

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was a teen I had a neighbor that had a big dog that chased everybody around and would chase me on my quad. I got the brite idea to take a piece of burlap and tie to the back of my quad and go by just slow enough that he could catch the burlap instead of me.. as soon as he latched on I dropped two gears and dumped the clutch. I drug that dumb dog on that rough chip and seal road for at least a hundred yards. It was his fault for not letting go sooner. He still chased others, but just the sound of my 2-smoke quad coming would send his tail to the porch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts