Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I took my '05 KLR out for a ride last night and noticed after it had warmed up that there was a pretty unpleasant grinding noise during acceleration, easily heard between gears. The bike also seemed to be vibrating more than usual, but I can't be certain on that because I've only owned it and had it running for about a week. Once I noticed the grinding, I was already ~25 miles from home and had no other option but to ride it all the way back. I'm sure that wasn't the best idea but it got me home. I have since parked the bike and plan to drain the oil, look for metal shavings, and replace the doo. Now I know this forum has hundreds of posts about the doo, but I need to ask this. If the bike was still running when I parked it last night, my motor should still be usable, right? Or should I continue to worry myself over the possibility that I just ruined my new-to-me KLR?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Put it in tdc, remove the side cases and take a look. If the doo is intact you likely have other issues. It is isn’t, drain the oil look for pieces of the doo and hope you got them all. If the doo is shot, order one, replace it and flush the engine with new oil to try to get the broken pieces. Invest in a magnetic drain plug. Follow the videos that Tom has done at the souperdoo. Let us know what you find out. Best of luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Usually if the balancer chain get loose it will produce more of a tapping sound. It's a good idea to inspect it because for this year KLR they are known to be problematic. Listen to your engine at idle, and see if there is a grinding sound.

I would also inspect the drive chain and brakes. Badly worn drive chain or worn brake pads can produce weird sounds when riding.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
They ALL do that, jaredaaz!

Just kidding. The horrors and likelihood of the doohickey grenading may be exaggerated.

The wizened forum membership may diagnose your problem from the information you provide, but . . . if not, wouldn't hurt to have knowledgeable mechanic take a look, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Have you had the rear wheel off? If so, maybe you dropped the LH outer spacer collar?

Maybe you have a stick stuck in the engine sprocket cover?

Does the engine have the 'grinding noise' when idling in Neutral?

Remove the OIL FILTER and look for metallic particulates, Before considering draining the engine oil.

Reactions: samuel

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Figure that I ought re-post this over here as well,

You basically won't hear a well operating engine balancer system, neither when adjusting or operating. Other than the sshhhusss of a freshly snugged chain smoothly sliding across the rear chain guide.

But a fairly sensitive, mechanically inclined owner or mechanic should be able to 'feel' and sort of hear an improperly operating system, if they can test ride a few other KLR's.

I've felt the heavier power pulses / vibrations of three Gen 2 units which had loose doo-hickey locking bolts. Primarily when accelerating between 3000-5000 rpm. I imagine that a broken doo with loose chain might feel even worse.

Just as a test of ones sensitivity,
One could Loosen the locking bolt 1/2 - 3/4 of turn and take a few mile test ride to get a feel. Then back in the garage, remove the 2 plastic access plugs & rotate the crank CCW to TDC to get all the slack on the proper side and re-torque the locking bolt. Re-install the caps and immediately take the same test ride loop.

ps, This test may work best on a KNOWN good system. A defective system (broken spring or broken doo) could still be vibrating as badly as it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts