Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 KLR 650 and was wondering if there is a way to tell if the doo hickey has been changed? Probably is one of those take it apart and see things. I've had no luck contacting the previous owner yet.

Steve E.........

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
The only way is to remove the left case cover and look inside.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
A new one will be a one piece, all machined part. The original will be a billet, and a loop, which are welded together.

The center one in this photo is stock.

Aftermarket, in place..

Factory, in place.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. About that doohickey thing....one way to be sure. Pull the outer left engine cover. Regardless of what you have been told by the previous owner, you need to know what is going on in there. Replaced springs have been known to break. Not every doohickey has been replaced by a NASA engineer. Not every novice installer has been sober. Where you find KLR you sometimes find ADD. Too critical of an issue to ignore, and too simple to warrant going to a shop.

If this is what you want to do, we can walk you step by step through it. Cheering section will cost you more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings from West Central Texas.

Thanks for the info and thanks very much for the pic's. Now I know what the factory item is supposed to look like. I will be doing it myself, last time I took a bike to a Shop was about 18 years ago, I've had quite a few bike since then. It has been a few years since i had my KLR (96 Model) and never bothered about the doohickey on it. This 06 I will look at it and see for myself. Thanks for the welcome, everyone here seems eager to help if you just ask and some probably even if you don't ask, LOL. I look forward to a nice long stay here.

Steve E............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts