Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been commented on endlessly.
I just thought I'd, maybe, start a trend. A while back I approached my local Kawasaki dealer's service manager to have my Doo done. Of course he gave me the same "party line" that they never had any problems, so had not done any.
This service manager has a Gen-2 KLR, and one of their mechanics has a Gen-1.

I made arrangements to bring in an Eagle Mikes kit, and they would do my bike. I printed out all the info, from on-line, as to how to make the modification.
After they did the modification on mine, he told me that the spring had no tension, but plate was ok. That was over a month ago.

I stopped in today to talk to him, and he said he just did his KLR. Same thing as my bike, his spring was not doing anything. The mechanic that did my bike, did the work on his. Both were surprised as how much more quiet his bike was.

Do you think that I might have started something here? At least one service manager at a Kawasaki dealer is wise to this on going issue with the KLR's

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
larry31,
Personally, I hope it catches on like wild fire!! But IT, probably 'won't'!
May I ask, what was the billable hours?

I find it takes about 2.5 hours of real-time, for a perfect, no silicone, 2 new gaskets, leak-free job. Maybe I am overly finicky? But I do not want to repair an oil 'weep' for free!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
It effects all KLR engines. For Gen 1 the doohickey assembly was an issue. For Gen 2 Kawasaki beefed up the doohickey itself but the springs were found to be weak.

Search the forums. There is lots of info on the doohickey, then make our own decision on whether to do it or not.

Reactions: Bigdave7891

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doo-Hicky

larry31,
Personally, I hope it catches on like wild fire!! But IT, probably 'won't'!
May I ask, what was the billable hours?

I find it takes about 2.5 hours of real-time, for a perfect, no silicone, 2 new gaskets, leak-free job. Maybe I am overly finicky? But I do not want to repair an oil 'weep' for free!
I made a deal with them because they had never done one (with Eagle mike Kit ) before. It took the mechanic about 3 hours. The service manager said the mechanic had to stop and look up more info on just where to drill the hole for the torsion spring. Guess he got a little confused from the instructions I printed out for him.
I was billed just over 2 1/2 hours, plus charge for oil to add after.

I suppose I could have tried it myself, but I'm not confident when it comes to opening an engine. I really don't have anyone close by to go to for help if I screw up. Gotta draw a line somewhere!

This is one of the better dealers around for doing good work.
I've gone over 1,000 miles since it was done, and it's running fine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer

Could you share the dealership's name and location?
No problem:
HK Powersports
Hooksett, N.H.
(603) 668-4343

They are a Kawasaki dealer, and also deal in water craft, and snow machines in season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts