Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason not to use an impact gun to remove the bolt when doin the doo? Also I have the hollow puller bolt. Is there any reason not to use it. It's still in the original package just didn't get to it yet.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Did mine here http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5941 I used an impact for removal only using the EM puller, no problems. Going back together I tried just using an 1 1/4" wrench at an angle as a backup to tighten the rotor bolt but it kept slipping off. Took the wrench (an inexpensive made in Poonjab, India type) to the shop, torched it to put the bends in it as pictured. Worked great.

I re used the rotor bolt and now i'm thinking I should have replaced it with a new one. That little bolt gets torqued to 133 ft. lbs and has gotta be near yield. I later find out that my '08 should have been torqued to 140.

I would use the EM puller. You DO NOT want to strip the threads in the end of the rotor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would not use the hollow puller. Those have a 50% or more failure rate.... I don't like to use an impact on the puller. There's only about 5 threads in the rotor. I like to use a long breaker bar, grease the threads, and go slower the harder it is to remove. Worked every time so far...... Use a torue wrench for the new rotor bolt, make sure it's a decent one.

all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eagleMike1

Hi Mike pm sent

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts