Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to save a bit of money during these hard times. Was wondering if someone would let me use your Doo tools (puller, holder) i would be able to return them within one - two weeks. I am about to order the Eagle mike Doo and would rather not spend the extra cash Thanks Guys Jesse

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
The gentleman that sent me his free of charge will probably hook ya up when he sees this thread. We went below freezing and I kept the tools about a month. Felt bad about holding them so long but he was very cool about it.

I (being Cheap of course) went with just the doo and spring. No gaskets or the lever thingie. Worked out perfect. The bike only had 1244 miles on it and the gaskets were very reusable. Barely stuck at all.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, sit tight. You'll get your tools. Don't spend money you don't have. Lots of folks will hook you up, including the gentleman Cheap refers too, my guess.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys i have been contacted and should be here soon, i think i might order the gaskets. My bike is an 06 with 4000 miles not sure what condition they will be in.

I was thinking about changing the clutch to, it hasn't slipped yet but feels weak. When i shift into first i can sometimes feel and hear clunk into gear.

My qustion is should i change the clutch at the same time, and do you have to drain the oil to change the clutch? thanks guys Jesse

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well got the tools and got the doo, i got it apart today and the doo was fine but the spring was broke in two glad i got to it when i did and thanks for everyones help.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cool! Peace of mind is sweet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i hit a snag. the doo that i got from eagle mikes is turned to the right alittle more that stock. and i cant get the torsion spring to stretch far enough to go onto the doo. and i cant find the piece of stock spring that broke.

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
OK, that torsion spring can be a bear to get on. Hate to say it, but try again. Mike's part is machined correctly, of that you can be sure. If the spring really won't go on, you can re-drill the hole to give the spring a bit less tension. Call Mike to confirm; he also may have some hints to getting that bugger on. I would wager he's done a few more doo jobs than anyone in the known universe.

As to the broken spring bit, ya gotta find it. Are you sure it's not in the vicinity of the doo? Drain the oil and look for it. Can you get a magnet up the drain hole and fish around a bit? It's worth the effort to find it; the havoc it can cause is significant. Hopefully there are others who can advise on how to find that thing.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in Glendale AZ...I could really use the Doo tools as well.... anyone out this way I could borrow them from... I need to get the Doo ordered. Does eaglemike have a the kit or? I think I have his number here somewhere. Thanks a head of time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the piece of spring is no where to be found, i sifted threw the oil and didnt find it, flushed the motor out with motor oil and it still didnt come out. this is the first oil change that i have done on the bike. i am thinking that it might have been broke before and the fella that owned it before flushed the piece down with the oil. i am going to advanced and get a magnet and see if i can find it up the oil drain. if not i think im just going to slap it back together.

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
DuckPicker -

Is there any chance that the bike came with a magnetic drain plug? If so, it might well have been found and removed by the PO. Just thinking that might give you some peace of mind!

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wish i could be so lucky, but no as far as i can tell it has the factory plug. the piece that is missing is small and could easily fall out the drain. it is just the hook on the spring. so i am really leaning towards it falling out in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Did it "ping" across the room w/out your noticing possibly?
Stinks if ya KNOW it's in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the piece of spring is no where to be found, i sifted threw the oil and didnt find it, flushed the motor out with motor oil and it still didnt come out. this is the first oil change that i have done on the bike. i am thinking that it might have been broke before and the fella that owned it before flushed the piece down with the oil. i am going to advanced and get a magnet and see if i can find it up the oil drain. if not i think im just going to slap it back together.
To get the spring on (I'm assuming the circular extra cost one is the one you are talking about as opposed to the straight pull spring like the factory unit), I used a small flat nosed vice grip to grab the spring right behind the "hook". That is, right after the first bend. I then rotated it counter clockwise trying to line up the coil of the spring with the groove in Mike's doo. (On both of my attempts, I actually missed the groove but was able to align the spring after it was hooked.) Keep pulling it around and then poke it in the slot. It does take some hand strength to get it there and after the first one, I was cursing. When I did the second one, it seemed plum easy. To make it a little easier, rotate the "doo" clockwise as far as you can with your finger, then tighten down the adjuster bolt, so the slot doesn't "get away from you" when you start your rotation of the spring.

Good luck on finding the spring part. My two "doo" jobs so far were great in that no parts were missing or broken. It really sucks not knowing how it's going to turn out but I'm sure you'll end up fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not worried about get the bike back together, i was making sure that the spring is made to hold that much tension. The broken spring on the other hand is gonna get on my nerves, when i pulled the old doo off the large piece of the spring the was attached to the lever fell down and the hook part that i am missing was no where in sight. i am going to give it one more attempt tomorrow with a flexible magnet up the drain hole and in every nook and cranny i can find. if it doesn't come out i am just going to cross my fingers and convince my self that it fell out in past oil changes.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You could warm up some oil (carefully) and flush a few quarts through?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts