Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just did my doo according to Marknet...mine was perfect(2006 with 7000 miles). Not too big a deal-just a little tedious at times. Welded up a wrench out of an old one and used a puller from Fred. Changed over to Rotella synthetic at the same time-seems to shift smoother now. Also moved the shift lever up a spline for more foot room. It was so low I was afraid of catching my toe on the ground at times...much better now.
I also have a bone stock 2004 with 2000 miles. It's amazing the difference in the way they handle. The 04 is much tighter all over and corners/drives much nicer. The 06 has a worn out King on the rear and the original on the front and is lowered 1.5 inches. The 06 has the original tires. Amazing the difference in the two bikes. Interesting.
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Good to hear that your Doo change was the same as mine, an inexpensive trip into a motor for peace of mind.:)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it all over again. It's nice to have it done and not worry about failure of such a simple part..

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Do you think it is the tires, or the 1.5 inches the one is lowered that makes them ride differently?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it is the tires, or the 1.5 inches the one is lowered that makes them ride differently?
I think it's probably a combination of things-the 06 has the handlebars extended up and rear 2 inches and a backrest(upright seating position) which puts the rider's weight further aft than the stock 04 and unloads the front wheel quite a bit. Also has a homemade aluminum trunk(the backrest) which isn't very heavy but still puts a little more weight aft. The 06 also has a homemade seat that is flat rather that sloped forward further moving weight aft. Plus the lowering may affect the rake/trail some(I don't know just suspect) and then the tires too. The 06 has a tall windshield full of distortion(klr650.com) and that may cause an imagined difference.....
The 04 feels lots tighter and follows a line much easier and feels more confident-but I'll take that armchair comfort of the backrest/extended bars anytime-did a 665 mile day a while back without much problem(Childress Tx-Grenada MS)
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts