Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Even knowledgeable members occasionally give incorrect advice. Including me!

I'll suggest that is probably an Original EM Doo-Hickey and the installer may not have installed the shorter of the 2 springs that EM supplied. But it could be a Chinese Knock-Off of the original EM Doo-Hickey. I don't know how long or short the Chinese springs might be.

The OEM original doo-hickey may have had a failure. And may have allowed the chain to 'whip' and take-off some of the rubber wear pad on the upper rear chain slider. No real harm done, IMO.

The rubber cushions for the link plates to ride on (for silencing) quite often chip off. Again, no real harm done.

The possibly, previously Loose chain may have been contacting the case assembly bolt BOSS, beneath the Adjuster Sprocket. (EM even knows of this possibility.)
And the Doo-Hickey Installer probably used a Dremel Tool burr to relieve that excess material.
(I have personally done that to 1 well-abused KLR in the past. IT was my first ever EM Doo-Hickey installation which came with two of the old style extension springs.)

Check to see if the flat-sided hole for the adjuster shaft on the current doo is in the same orientation as the New Grooved EM Doo-Hickey with Torsion Spring kit. If they are Both aligned/Indexed the same, the current doo is simply an older EM doo.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
the indexing between the inside profile and outside profile is a little different between them,
When you test fit the New grooved EM Doo-Hickey you will notice that the adjuster slot will give more total remaining travel for a longer life than that knock-off part.

I can easily see the EM groove in pic #1 and just barely in pic #3, PeteK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts