Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after much procrastination I finally opened up my '04 KLR to 'do the doo'. I got it open and removed the original doohickey (WITH broken tension spring btw) and started to put it back together. When I was replaceing the 'inner side cover' (the one with 9 screws) and torquing them to 69 ft/lbs, two of the bolts broke. I have since determined that my torque wrench is a piece of crap and only works properly intermittantly as it worked properly on some of the bolts.

Sooooo, now I need two replacement bolts to attach the inner side cover. One of the bolts is the shorter one that goes inside at the top of the side cover, the other is one of the longer bolts. Does anyone have the specs on these bolts?

I was able to remove the sheared off shafts no problem.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Hi, after much procrastination I finally opened up my '04 KLR to 'do the doo'. I got it open and removed the original doohickey (WITH broken tension spring btw) and started to put it back together. When I was replaceing the 'inner side cover' (the one with 9 screws) and torquing them to 69 ft/lbs, two of the bolts broke. I have since determined that my torque wrench is a piece of crap and only works properly intermittantly as it worked properly on some of the bolts.

Sooooo, now I need two replacement bolts to attach the inner side cover. One of the bolts is the shorter one that goes inside at the top of the side cover, the other is one of the longer bolts. Does anyone have the specs on these bolts?

I was able to remove the sheared off shafts no problem.

thanks,
Just checking: you mean inch-pounds, right?

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
When I was replaceing the 'inner side cover' (the one with 9 screws) and torquing them to 69 ft/lbs, two of the bolts broke.

- - -

Does anyone have the specs on these bolts?
Holy Toledo, don't know where the 69 ft-lb torque figure came from, but that sounds wretched excess, to me!

69 ft-lb is the torque on the REAR AXLE NUT!

Perhaps in-lb?

Regardless, torque values can be found conveniently on . . . check out Reply # 3 on the thread accessible from this link:

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,15504.0/highlight,torque+values.html

For '08, I think, but . . . many engine fasteners are unchanged between generations.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Been there and done that before on the oil pan of my truck.

Ouch.

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
There's nothing special about the bolts. Any replacement bolt from your local hardware store will do just fine. You should be able to take the broken bits and find a suitable replacement. If memory serves, the torque spec is 19 in-lbs. I prefer the old-school beam-style torque wrenches; they cannot malfunction. I think Sears still sells them in pretty good quality and at a reasonable price.

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
:t1202: Damn my old eyes and this wee telephone keypad... and my fat thumbs. It's a wonder I didn't type "zc ub osa"!

Thanks for the correction, LoneRider.

T

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh ya.......it was ft/lbs......no wonder they broke! Dumb mistake.

I will try to find them at the hardware store.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. You''ll need a M6-1.0 x 20 for the shorty and an M6-30 x 1.0 for the longer app. The "1.0" indicates thread pitch. Kinda critical.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty then........Doohickey DONE!!!!!!!!!

Got the bolts from Cambodian Tire and just finished the doo. I wasn't able to put the shifter back on due to darkness (sigh, I guess summer is departing), but ran thru the gears on my easy-lift stand and everything seems good. Definately quieter. Test drive will say for sure.

So now.....bring it on folks! I am ready and willing to accept all cutting remarks and general bad-mouthing on my critical torquing error!

Thanks to all for your input in resolving this!
:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Fear not, we've all done stupider things. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
sup up fernie! good on ya for posting you [email protected] mistake. hopefully will prevent others from doing the same. if the spring was broken, you might want to consider a magnetic oil plug too.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Alrighty then........Doohickey DONE!!!!!!!!!

Got the bolts from Cambodian Tire and just finished the doo. I wasn't able to put the shifter back on due to darkness (sigh, I guess summer is departing), but ran thru the gears on my easy-lift stand and everything seems good. Definately quieter. Test drive will say for sure.

So now.....bring it on folks! I am ready and willing to accept all cutting remarks and general bad-mouthing on my critical torquing error!

Thanks to all for your input in resolving this!
:)
Good deal! Glad the problem is rectified and you got it done. I'm amazed all the bolts didn't break. Glad to hear the threads were okay.

Hey, better maybe to be aware of how easy it is to mis-read in. and ft. in this manner rather than torquing some 130-foot pound nut to 130 inch-pounds by mistake. That's the kind of thing that can really come back to bite you.

All's well that ends well. Hell, I'm still impressed that you admitted you did it. Most would have said, "Oh, yeah, yeah, it was inch-pounds. My torque wrench was bad. Yeah, that's it." Nothing but respect for your honesty.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Uh ya.......it was ft/lbs......no wonder they broke! Dumb mistake.
Dumb but not uncommon.....
I found myself in the same situation but fortunately I caught the mistake
before I broke something.

I just knew it was too much torque from past bolt breaking experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts