Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked several times.
I'm New and sorry. Just got an '08 w/ 18k.
Do not know if mod has been done. looking for torque values needed to put things back together before I pull it apart.
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
All case fasteners are 69 in-lb.

Rotor bolt is 145 ft-lb, though you'll find a lot of opinion on that. Some people will go as low as 120 ft-lb and Kawasaki has changed the spec a couple of times.

Watch this video series:

·
Registered
64 Posts
In conjunction with the original question, if I was to get in there, is there a way to know if the previous owner replaced it? Something visual to look for? I bought a used 2014.5 from a dealer and don't know, but would like to check mine too.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
That's in video #3 of the series and at 7:30 in video #4 (though there is a tooth in the way of seeing the torsion spring. Doh!).

You have to take the outer case off and peer under the ring gear. The aftermarket lever has a different surface finish than the OEM does. Also, if you can see a wee bit of the torsion spring working end hooked to the lever, that is a dead giveaway.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Good on ya!

I just finished putting the third Thermo-Bob on the same bike. It has now officially had a TB-1, TB-2, and a TB-3 on it.

Where's my sign?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Good on ya!

I just finished putting the third Thermo-Bob on the same bike. It has now officially had a TB-1, TB-2, and a TB-3 on it.

Where's my sign?
So you just removed the TB-3 with an automotive size, reliable thermostat to install a TB-2 with an original size Chinese thermostat, Correct?
I'm sure that you triple checked its operational temp.

It will be interesting to hear which one yields the more preferred, consistent temperature.
Do I remember that there was a little difference between the TB-1 & the TB-3 temps?

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
@pdwestman

Paul, the original T-Bob (TB-1) had an automotive size t-stat. I went from a TB-1 to a TB-3 and, now, to a TB-2. The TB-2 and the TB-3 both have the Cheap Chinee Scooter t-stat.

These things are somewhat problematic as the quality control is, um, Cheap Chinee Scooter quality. That's why wattman ships two in every kit, I believe.

The first one I had in the TB-3 was absolutely wonky. Neither Bill nor I could figure out just what it was doing. The thing of it was that it acted perfectly normally in a pot of hot water on the stove but, in the bike, it acted like it was stuck open. Actually, it acted like it wasn't there. Or perhaps it was confused. The second one was fine and has been perfectly reliable for the past 15K miles or so. I have transferred it over to the TB-2 and mounted it exactly as I had it in the TB-3 with respect to its orientation to the incoming bypass line.

It will be interesting to see if the location of the T-stat has any bearing on the observed temperatures. I still have a temp sensor down near the radiator outlet where the bypass mixes with the radiator output. I haven't had a chance to wring it out yet and see what it does.

I'm going to Taos for a few days but I am taking the BMW, so I don't know when I might be able to see what it is doing. I might just take the KLR for a run up to Death Valley when I get back from Taos.

There probably was a difference between the TB-1 and TB-3; I don't remember the details. I think that would be attributable to having the TB-1 control the inlet temperature to the radiator while the TB-3 was controlling the radiator's outlet temperature. Both had 195°F T-stats.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Frankly, given my past experience, I'd expect an '08 to run 215°F at the head and about 160°F at the outlet. I'd expect it to be perfectly reliable and run consistently at those temps.

My bike (an '09) is a Frankenbike, being almost half Gen 1 and half Gen 2. I have a Gen 1 cooling system on it. It ran a bit cooler at the head (about 205°F), but that was with a Gen 1 radiator and a TB-3 mounted such that it was controlling the temps at the outlet of the radiator rather than the inlet of the radiator.

Whatever I find out with this TB-2 is going to be atypical, so I wouldn't suggest waiting on my results.

If your bathroom library is running short on reading materials, I might suggest these articles:

https://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/47505-thermo-bob-3-a.html
https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/installing-an-ims-6-6-tank-on-a-gen-2-semi-square-peg-in-a-semi-round-hole
https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/ims-6-6-on-a-gen-2-carrying-coals-to-newcastle

And I wouldn't be too skeered of the implied issues with the Cheap Chinee Scooter t-stat. Bill tests every one of them and provides two in each kit. As I said, I did have an issue with the first one, but consider the odd installation (and the odd owner and his mad wrenching from within the confines of the Shop of Horrors) and that the second one has been dead-reliable for 15K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks , mine is an '08.
Not running bad, just don't care for the temperature fluctuations.
May just go ahead with it. Guess it can't hurt anything other than the pocketbook.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Thanks , mine is an '08.
Not running bad, just don't care for the temperature fluctuations.
May just go ahead with it. Guess it can't hurt anything other than the pocketbook.
I will also endorse the Thermo-Bob as a do it at your earliest opportunity item.
I think most of us discover a little better mpg with its use, so it should eventually pay for itself in several beneficial ways.

Tom & I can be intrigued by the smaller details of systems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took my 2014.5 out for a ride today after installing the ToB2 this past Sunday and adjusting the stock DH (not sure the tech term -counter balancer?).

Have not replaced the stock temp gauge with the one from watt man, but would like to. Temp went to about a quarter of an inch above the cold (bottom) and stayed there. I was pleased that it was off the cold reading where it normally stays while road riding.

My engine (1700 miles) is much quieter with the DH adjusted. I thought I was hearing a little bit of chain rattle from that area before the adjustment. I'll replace the DH with the EM kit soon, but thankful it adjusted after a couple of taps.

Great input and support on this site. You guys are the best.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
I like your bike. It isn't clean and shiny, yet it looks well cared for. That makes me feel comfortable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts