Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 2001 with 17,500 miles and not sure whether or not the Doohickey has been changed, the previous owner had only had the bike a little over a year and only put 700 miles on it and didn't seem very knowledgeable about the bike. It appears all stock, no obvious mods so I assume the Doo hasn't been changed. The engine runs smooth but does have a chatter when taking off while coming off the clutch. I can tell the gearing is a bit high in first so don't know if it's normal as it's bogging the motor or if the cam chain isn't tentioned enough.

I was going to go ahead and order the Doo, what else do I need to get as far as gaskets and where is the best place to order from?

If anyone has the special tools to loan or rent for this procedure I would appreciate that too :th1sm112Iknowdesk:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
get the doo from eagle mike the best there is out there he has every thing you need.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I've just bought a 2001 with 17,500 miles and not sure whether or not the Doohickey has been changed, the previous owner had only had the bike a little over a year and only put 700 miles on it and didn't seem very knowledgeable about the bike. It appears all stock, no obvious mods so I assume the Doo hasn't been changed. The engine runs smooth but does have a chatter when taking off while coming off the clutch. I can tell the gearing is a bit high in first so don't know if it's normal as it's bogging the motor or if the cam chain isn't tentioned enough.

I was going to go ahead and order the Doo, what else do I need to get as far as gaskets and where is the best place to order from?

If anyone has the special tools to loan or rent for this procedure I would appreciate that too :th1sm112Iknowdesk:
Doohickey upgrades are available from a number of sources. A few that come to mind:

http://www.motoadventure.com/

Motoadventure distributes doohickey's and related tools.

http://klr650.com/Doohickey.htm

The rumor mill is aglow with allusions of improprieties with this vendor. No confirmed reports of doohickey or related item failure, the component they offer is made right here in the US of A. They have a knowledgeable and friendly customer service department, reasonable shipping and return policies, and they support this site by listing us in their "LINKS". One hand washes the other......

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Product_Pages/klrprod.html

This outfit offers a kit with an inspection port, so you can keep an eye on this doohickey business. Developed and marketed by a KLR legend that was involved with the original upgraded doohickey design.

No confirmed reports of any aftermarket doohickeys failing or contributing to a catastrophic engine failure, so I am not sure what would designate one distributor as being better than the other.

·
Administrator
8,479 Posts

vatrader has provided you with excellent guidance for your sourcing, so I'll not go over plowed ground.

In your original post I did detect a hint of some misunderstanding, and it is common. You also posed a question of sorts.

The "chattering" sound you referred to - it's the 'KLR sound' and perfectly normal. It's reputed to be piston slap and does come from the tall first gear bogging the engine a bit. If you use higher revs and more clutch slip you probably won't hear it. It's as normal to the KLR as the 'VW noise' is to air cooled Bugs.

You made reference to the cam chain not being tensioned enough and are talking about the doo. Some people are under the mistaken impression that the doo somehow tensions the cam chain. It doesn't; it tensions the counter balancer chain. That chain will make some awful noises when loose; the doo requires adjustment at every oil change or so.

The cam chain itself is tensioned by an automatic device and there is no adjustment required during its normal service life.

edit: Ach due lieber! I see that vatrader has covered this, as well, in the 'sprocket decision' thread...

Tom

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Doohickey upgrades are available from a number of sources. A few that come to mind:

-------

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Product_Pages/klrprod.html

This outfit offers a kit with an inspection port, so you can keep an eye on this doohickey business. Developed and marketed by a KLR legend that was involved with the original upgraded doohickey design.

No confirmed reports of any aftermarket doohickeys failing or contributing to a catastrophic engine failure, so I am not sure what would designate one distributor as being better than the other.
Top Gun provides a stock Kawasaki OEM '08-and-later doohickey, instead of an "aftermarket" part, in its doohickey kit:

"New 2008 Kawasaki Lever (Gizmo), . . ."

No known failures of this part, either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input and Tom for the correction on which chain the Doo tensions and letting me know that the piston slap is normal. I'm trying to decide on sprockets to gear the bike down some. It's 15/43 right now and debating on 14/44 , 14/45 or a 15/47 combo. Any recommendation on gearing for mainly off road and back country roads, don't plan on much interstate travel as I have a Victory Vision for taking road trips.

I haven't looked for the specialty tools needed for the Doo change, how much do they normally cost and if anyone has the tools and would rent them out I may would like to go that route unless it's normal to need them multiple times?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts