Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I was skeptical, very skeptical about the doohickey. Cracked open the cases and saw the spring was not stretched at all. Thought about closing it up and calling it a day when I saw a something at the bottom of the case

apparently on my 2018 the spring and the doohickey were fine. The part of the case the anchors the spring, however, was broken off.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Well, I've never seen that before. As Jason said, luckily the torsion spring doesn't need the post - lucky for you.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Well Now! That is the first time I have read/seen that type of failure, in my 11-12 years of KLR internet browsing.

Glad that you caught it.

How many miles on the bike? Had you ever attempted to allow adjustment? Was the locking bolt Snug or Loose?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wouldn't seeing that the spring was not stretched be a red flag ? . I would think the spring SHOULD appear stretched somewhat to have the tension required for "self adjusting" . Or maybe a non stretched spring would indicate failure to self adjust . ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wouldn't seeing that the spring was not stretched be a red flag ? . I would think the spring SHOULD appear stretched somewhat to have the tension required for "self adjusting" . Or maybe a non stretched spring would indicate failure to self adjust . ?
A properly designed spring for this application should not appeared "stretched" when in the relaxed state. In other words, the length of the spring when not under tension should be the same as it was before installation.

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
"A properly designed spring for this application should not appeared "stretched" when in the relaxed state."

Huh?

The OEM type spring needs to have space between its coils (stretched a bit) when it is connected to both the anchor pin & the swinging lever on the eccentric adjuster shaft.

·
Registered
433 Posts
"A properly designed spring for this application should not appeared "stretched" when in the relaxed state."

Huh?

The OEM type spring needs to have space between its coils (stretched a bit) when it is connected to both the anchor pin & the swinging lever on the eccentric adjuster shaft.
I interpreted dirt road's comment to mean shouldn't the spring show evidence of being stretched (space between coils) if it was working properly at some point?

The spring in this particular case was not in the working condition, owing to the broken post. In other words the spring was in a relaxed state and in this state a properly designed extension spring should not have space between the coils. If there was a space between coils the spring would have been over-extend at some point during its life.

Capisce?

Jason

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm gonna disagree. I'm no mechanic or engineer but it seems the spring should be under tension at all times to work properly. The design pretty much calls for constant tension that will expand and contract the spring as it adjusts the tension on the chain. A slack or relaxed spring would indicate the system is not working.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
OK, I get your comments Jason.

If an un-installed or de-tached extension spring has gaps between its coils it is evidence of being Over-Stretched and therefore damaged beyond use.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also misunderstood that he was talking about an uninstalled spring . I agree .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts