Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering riding my bike more on the highway and longer trips. I am trying to figure out how to make it more highway compatible. I know I should do the Doohickey by now with Eagle Mike kit.

Is there any way to do this without buying all of the special tools? I really don't have the extra money at this point, but would like to do the DOO before spring arrives.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
Where are you located?

My tools are loaned out right now, but there may be a tech day near you.

What's your timetable for this?

T

T

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
If I recall, you bought a Gen II bike, which has an upgraded / improved counter balancer idler shaft adjustment lever [doohickey]. The spring that tensions the balancer lever has been found to be weak or not working as designed, and common advice is to replace the spring with an after market spring, available from a number of sources. The stock "doohickey" hasn't had reports of failure, and little convincing evidence supports replacing it.

As far as tools, check this post:

http://www.klrforum.com/showpost.php?p=74610&postcount=2

There isn't any magic to these tools. A truck wheel stud and a bent up Chinese wrench, all total sold for under 12 bucks, and some help from someone with a torch and a welder, and you will have a set of doohickey tools. Shipping on those tools alone is about that much. An iron worker that will loan you an 1 1/4 spud wrench will cover the wrench.

Then all you need is a 22mm x 1.5 right hand thread bolt. The truck wheel stud I recommended is rated to be torqued tighter than most mortal humans can manage, minimizing the chance of stripping out the rotor. It will cost a dozen dollars to get loaner tools mailed to you, and another dozen dollars to send them on. The other things you will need to beg, borrow or steal are torque wrenches. And buy a new rotor bolt. They are designed to be a "use once item". When torquing the rotor bolt, it stretches. By design. Using it again hinges on how lucky you feel. I've re-used rotor bolts, I just don't torque them to spec. I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone practice either the re-used bolt or the lower torque setting. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Vinson1213

where are you located

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much.

There is no super hurry on getting this done, it's supposed to start snowing here again by tomorrow for the next week. I was just hoping to have this done in the next couple of months. Hopefully.

I live in Klamath Falls, Oregon. It's kind of isolated down here on the California/Oregon border.

I will look around and see if I can find anyone with tools. I am a college student, so the schools tend to take up almost all of my money. But I might be able to buy some if I need to.

Anyways, yes, I do an an 2008 KLR and am looking at replacing the spring - not the doohickey itself.... Thanks for the super advice and help though! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Loaners available?

Not sure if this is in appropriate but I'm looking to borrow the tools to do the Doo - Anyone have any available? I'm in southwest Pennsylvania - thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thank you so much.

There is no super hurry on getting this done, it's supposed to start snowing here again by tomorrow for the next week. I was just hoping to have this done in the next couple of months. Hopefully.

I live in Klamath Falls, Oregon. It's kind of isolated down here on the California/Oregon border.

I will look around and see if I can find anyone with tools. I am a college student, so the schools tend to take up almost all of my money. But I might be able to buy some if I need to.

Anyways, yes, I do an an 2008 KLR and am looking at replacing the spring - not the doohickey itself.... Thanks for the super advice and help though! :)
NorCal Tech Daze. Check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts