Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question from me, but may I ask what the heck is the doohickey?? This is the first time that I have ever posted on here or any other forum. I have a 2000 KLR 650 and I absolutly love it. I have roughly 15,000miles on it and never had any major problems with it...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Straight from the web::18:

The infamous KLR "doohickey"--counter balancer adjustment lever. The stock piece disintegrates about, oh...15 to 20% of the time. Subsequent catastrophic engine failure is a possibility. However, after years of research I have only found a single credible incident of a KLR engine actually fragging from a broken doohickey. Nonetheless, now that you know about the doohickey, you too are hexed and must replace it with this finely machined unit from Eagle Mike available at Arrowhead Motorsports. Otherwise you are certain become the only person to ever become stranded in the remotest part of the Yukon by a broken doohickey. Where you will no doubt be eaten by a bear. All because you were too pig headed to get with the program and replace your damn doohickey. Serves you right. ;-):mad0235:

:) Eagle Mike is our Hero!:23a: :16a:
Although you might be cheaper to adjust it regularly and check it by hand because I've heard mor spring failure stories the Doo failure stories. :63a:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I changed mine at 4500 miles and it was in perfect condition.

Now, at 11,000 miles I consider that $40 some of the best money I've ever spent, simply because I don't have to worry about it.

Rather than think about some stupid little part, I can think about how hard I want to hit that next curve, or where I'm stopping for breakfast..

These things are much more fun to think about than the stock doohickey..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts