Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all has taken your klr down the drag strip? If you have what we’re your times? So far my best was a 8.80 in the 1/8.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I think that would be fun to do once a year, with a bunch of dual-sport guys!

A friend owned BMW 1150GS, KLR650E & DRZ400R all at the same time thought that his DRZ400R was quicker than his KLR650. So one day when he was down for a ride with his DRZ400R and I on my '87 KLR650, I suggested that we do an impromptu Drag Race on asphalt.

My KLR beat his DRZ pretty solidly, twice. But we didn't have a flagger or lights to ensure even starts. He didn't feel the need try a 3rd run.
But we never got around to matching his '09 685 KLR against my lighter weight '87 Gen 1. :(

Closest drag strip to Lander, WY is about 300 miles away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When my gen1 was just jetted, opened air box, and a fmf muffler I went against a stock gen 1 and gen2 and I beat them badly. But since I turned it into a strictly drag bike I’m sure I could do a lot better

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
The magazine, "Motorcycle Consumer News" (is that the name?) publishes in an annual issue, performance data (horsepower, quarter-mile dragstrip run times, etc.) of virtually all motorcycles in current production. The last "Performance" issue of the magazine I looked at on the Internet had KLR650 times; don't know if they carried 'em forward after the KLR650 standown or not.

As I recall, the KLR650 was around 15 seconds for the quarter mile; I imagine you could research data now through Google.

BTW, the KLR650 had slightly greater rear wheel horsepower than the DRZ!

:)

·
Registered
5,654 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/3097744/performance-index-06-07-motorcycle-consumer-news

Maybe saving more research effort: From p.31, January 2008 MCN issue:

Quarter-mile time/Quarter-mile speed/Rear wheel horsepower/Top Speed

2006 Model
14.52 seconds/85.71 mph/34.0 horsepower/98 mph

2008 Model
14.40 seconds/87.08 mph/36.1 horsepower/93 mph

CAVEAT: All Motorcycle Consumer News data; none of my own.
that seems off saying it won’t go over 98. I had my bike at 109 on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Was that 109 on the Gen1 optimistic oem speedometer with a totally stock bike? Sounds possible, I've seen 105 at 5300+ ft numerous times.

But I know that "The Mans" radar gun would allow me to stay out of jail, if he saw me. hehe.
I don't own a GPS or fancy phone.

Hey, aren't there apps for the fancy phones to test ones vehicle acceleration capabilities? I think I've heard that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that 109 on the Gen1 optimistic oem speedometer with a totally stock bike? Sounds possible, I've seen 105 at 5300+ ft numerous times.

But I know that "The Mans" radar gun would allow me to stay out of jail, if he saw me. hehe.
I don't own a GPS or fancy phone.

Hey, aren't there apps for the fancy phones to test ones vehicle acceleration capabilities? I think I've heard that.
yes there are apps that do that.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
GPS? Or . . . OEM speedometer? 7 mph optimism isn't unusual for a KLR speedometer. Regardless, your bike may indeed be faster than the MCN review machines; MANY variables influence results.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
7 mph? I count 11. :)

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
7 mph? I count 11. :)
Thanks for the correction!

O.K.; 11 mph speedometer isn't unusual (at speeds around an indicated 100 mph). Fixed! :)

I'd imagine MCN uses more sophisticated and accurate speed-measuring equipment than the stock speedometer. Successor instrumentation to Chrondek, calibrated radar guns, or wire/electric eye speed traps likely; or even GPS.

That said, different bikes have different top speeds; even the MSN 2006 and 2008 stock test bikes clocked different top speeds. Some inmates' stockers may indeed run a true 109 mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts