Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do the 500 mile service :50:and live in an apartment. I'm going to try not to spill as much oil as possible but I was wondering if you guys had any little tricks to collecting it.

Funnels, Tubes, upside down gravity pumps???:64a:

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Draining fluids . . .

Greetings!

It isn't any different than an oil pan that you would use for changing the oil for your car.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I used a turkey basting pan once to change the oil at a motel. I bought it at wallyworld for about $2 and put it in the trash after I drained the used oil back into the new oils containers.
It sure beat paying someone to change it for me when I was 1200 miles from home.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
On my trip to the left coast last year I needed an oil change while passing through AZ. I found a wally-world and the oil drain pans were $5-$7 I think and the turkey pan was $2. It was going in the trash when I got finished so I thought $2 was better to pitch than $5.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the 500 mile service :50:and live in an apartment. I'm going to try not to spill as much oil as possible but I was wondering if you guys had any little tricks to collecting it.

Funnels, Tubes, upside down gravity pumps???:64a:

Thanks,
Brian
You're in Alaska.. Just dump it near the beach and claim it was Exxon.. :36a:

Typical cheap automotive drain pan, bigger funnel, and a jug that cat litter comes in to dump the old oil into.

A smaller funnel will make life a little easier when filling the bike, but it's not nessasary.

I'm sure the following has been beaten into your head for as long as you've been interested in KLR's, but I'll say it again..:16:

Make sure the tube in the filter gets put in the new filter before you put the cover on. Don't be afraid to slightly overfill the bike's oil.

And, as mentioned on another liquid post, don't forget to change the blinker fluid. I like 13.9 weight for this, but I've heard of other guys getting wild and adding 14.7 weight.. I think it's just crazy talk, but it seems to work.:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
14.7 made mine buzz too fast...Didn't like it at all. ;)

Was it the red or green stuff? The red 14.7 weight fluid has buzz detergent in it to eliminate buzzing, as long as it's not ever allowed to freeze.. :character00271:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already swapped out the blinker fluid. I mixed the red stuff and the green stuff to get something inbetween. It worked pretty well, quiet and the blinks are just right.

The BP buliding isn't to far down the street:character00231:

I talked to the Dealer and they have valve shims in stock. I'll probabaly start a valve thread. I'd be tempted to just have the shop do it but they are booked up for a month and I'm already at 328 miles.

I'll finally get to use that inch-pound torque wrench I have.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts