Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with 3500m. had the bike for about 2 weeks, so its new to me.

today, I pulled it out of the garage to make some space for a bit, and noticed a very distict chain-on-slider sound....

thinking back, this may be the first time that I have moved the bike much without a full helmet on.

since then, I have taken the chain tension in and out, to no avail.
adjusted both preload and damper to extremes to see if it would change anything.

the chain is well within the "see daylight" test at the sprocket.

My last ride was two days ago for around 250 twisty miles, and I certainly didn't notice this sound. or any other ride for that matter.

is this something to be alarmed about, or am I just hearing this for the first time since I am not wearing a helmet????

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have a 2005 with 3500m. had the bike for about 2 weeks, so its new to me.

today, I pulled it out of the garage to make some space for a bit, and noticed a very distict chain-on-slider sound....

thinking back, this may be the first time that I have moved the bike much without a full helmet on.

since then, I have taken the chain tension in and out, to no avail.
adjusted both preload and damper to extremes to see if it would change anything.

the chain is well within the "see daylight" test at the sprocket.

My last ride was two days ago for around 250 twisty miles, and I certainly didn't notice this sound. or any other ride for that matter.

is this something to be alarmed about, or am I just hearing this for the first time since I am not wearing a helmet????

Rolling the bike backwards? The chain makes more noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no...... I have noticed that though

after hearing the sound. I pulled a figure 8 in the street to diagnose. and after adjusting a few different ways (tension) ran it up to about 10 miles an hour to see if it was just at walking speed.... It was consistent. i.e. faster = louder.

thanks for replying!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after more inspection, and after returning the tension/preload to spec...

the top run of the chain is sitting on the slider. is this normal? even with WAY too much tension on the chain.... even off of the stand. even with a load on it......

as it stands now, preload at 2, damper at 2, chain slack at about 2.25in.
I am 155lb. 6'0"

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, it sits on the plastic slider.

I hope its just a normal noise, that stands out to me now because I am fixated on it. I have never had a bike that the chain rested on the swingarm like this, but I guess that is what the slider is for.....

the sound just seems really present.... if i get up to 10mph or so, kill the engine, and listen, there is a very clear and distinct chainy sound at the slider.

maybe im just not used to the clinks and clanks of a dual yet....

thanks for your input! has anyone else ever noticed this?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
yea, it sits on the plastic slider.

I hope its just a normal noise, that stands out to me now because I am fixated on it. I have never had a bike that the chain rested on the swingarm like this, but I guess that is what the slider is for.....

the sound just seems really present.... if i get up to 10mph or so, kill the engine, and listen, there is a very clear and distinct chainy sound at the slider.

maybe im just not used to the clinks and clanks of a dual yet....

thanks for your input! has anyone else ever noticed this?

More suspension travel means more chain slack is needed. The KLR's suspension travel is about half way between a street bike and a pure off-road bike. It has a slider but doesn't need chain rollers like a dirt bike does.

Have you lubed the chain? Is the chain in good shape? Chain lined up with the sprockets?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts