Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While adjusting valves, down the cam chain hole.

It stopped on the first gear it found on the way down, then fell again and again until it was out of sight.
Now I'm trying to confirm its exact position hoping it didn't fall down in the oil sump,
but it's hard to do with the rotor in the way.

I cannot for the love of me find a puller and a crowfoot wrench anywhere around here,
I might have to order them from eagle mike but being in Italy that would turn out to be more expensive than just hauling the bike to a mech.

Any idea where I would be able to source these tools in europe?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
A heavy truck repair shop may have a 22mm X 1.50mm pitch wheel Lug BOLT to use as the puller and they should surely have a oxy/acetylene torch to heat and bend a commonly available 32mm combination spanner wrench to hold the rotor.

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
Like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AH! ahah! managed to fish it out.
Looks like I won't need to invest on more tools.

I did fiddle a bit with the rotor in the proces so I might have to adjust the the timing,
how many times should I turn the crank (started from TDC, cam lobes facing outward) to go back to TDC? twice or once?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
The timing doesn’t change when you remove the rotor. That is unless you had the cams out at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Glad you got it out!

I had a similar time dodging a bullet when I managed to grab a bolt with a magnet after I dropped it into the oil pan of our Suburban. What a relief!

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
AH! ahah! managed to fish it out.
Looks like I won't need to invest on more tools.

I did fiddle a bit with the rotor in the proces so I might have to adjust the the timing,
how many times should I turn the crank (started from TDC, cam lobes facing outward) to go back to TDC? twice or once?
TWICE; the camshaft rotates at half the speed of the crankshaft.

Yet, as KLR4evr posts above, removing and replacing the rotor doesn't affect valve (or ignition) timing, as long as you set the Woodruff key in its appropriate slots. There's no "adjustment" provision for timing on a stock KLR650, unless you jump teeth on the camshaft sprocket.

Some report significant gains in performance from advancing the exhaust cam one sprocket tooth; others remain somewhat skeptical of the claim and its magnitude . . . :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did take the cams off, while the rotor is still on.

Just making sure before I make any more mistakes, the exhaust cam was already advanced by PO,
I think i'll just keep it like that since the bike seems to run just fine.

Hope it starts in a couple of days when I'm done with maintenance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts