Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I dropped the ring clip that holds the piston wrist pin in place. Of course, it went down into the crank case. What am I faced with now? Do I have to pull the engine from the bike to get into the lower part? Is there an easier way to get at this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bummer

I would try one of those magnet tools with the telescoping handle. Sold at most automotive shops or sears? If that doesn't do the trick try a strong shop vac? Good luck.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Help!! I dropped the ring clip that holds the piston wrist pin in place. Of course, it went down into the crank case. What am I faced with now? Do I have to pull the engine from the bike to get into the lower part? Is there an easier way to get at this?
WHERE were your Rags??

Take a look at this thread, (left click on hi-lite),
http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/36305-i-am-joes-crank-case.html

to get an Idea of the splash tray under the crank.

Put a magnet on a handle down between the crank flywheels. Try tilting the bike steeply to the left and right. DO NOT use Compressed air. I see a rectangular drain notch in the RH case half, centered under the Phillips screw.

There is actually a doo-hickey shaft which plugs the small LH hole and forward balancer bearing and shaft which fills the large LH hole!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Just a thought; if not flushed out by draining the oil, would a magnet on a flexible shaft, inserted through the oil drain hole, be worth a try? No, never seen nor heard of this technique being tried; as mentioned, just a thought! :)

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Just a thought; if not flushed out by draining the oil, would a magnet on a flexible shaft, inserted through the oil drain hole, be worth a try? No, never seen nor heard of this technique being tried; as mentioned, just a thought! :)
Damocles,
Have another look,
http://www.klrforum.com/344697-post8.html
It is a fairly circuitous path.

I believe that the piston pin circlip is too large of OD to pass thru the 12mm oil drain hole (without help).

But one should install a magnetic drain plug if one was to run the engine without retrieval of the missing clip. If the circlip is of OEM strength one might be able to pull an oem clip thru the hole with long-nose pliers. If the missing clip is for a JE (or Wossner?) piston, not a chance in hell of extraction thru the 12mm drain hole.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A magnet on a Flexible shaft not just an extendable shaft is best. A good pen light might help too.

I'll bet madmotorcyclist will never again forget to stuff rags in every opening that any part or tool can fall into because Murphy's law is unforgiving .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts