Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I dropped/knocked over my bike. My wife's car was parked in front of my shop and I did not feel like going back into the house to get the keys for it so I decided to walk the bike back around the car and off the side of the ramp (for lack of a better word for the concrete in front of my shop doors) up to the shop (first mistake). Next mistake, I did not put the kick stand up and it hit when the back wheel went over the edge of the ramp, high centered, and standing on the left side, I did not have enough strength/counter weight to keep it from tipping to the right (thankfully missing my wife's car).

Four things happened. First, I scratched the crash bars and the right side pannier (whatever it is an adventure bike). Second, a bunch of gas spilled out of what I assume is a carb overflow tube (is this normal?). Third, it pushed the bark buster hand guard over just enough to make the throttle stick (a one minute fix).

Finally, (the one prompting the question) when I stood it back up and went to start it the transmission would not disengage and the clutch did nothing. I worked the clutch several times and bumped the starter a few times and it disengaged and I was able to ride it. I rode it about 30 miles without any problems. Also, when I first put it in gear from a stop (even before this problem) it lurches just a bit even with the clutch all the way down. Do I have a clutch problem or need to adjust it? When I say lurch, it is not like it feels that it will run away even if I am not holding the breaks but the bike will move forward an inch or less it seems.

Thank you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you have access to a manual check your free play at the handle. It sounds like you may need to adjust a little bit of slack out.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
IMO, there should never be More than 1/2 an inch of free movement at the ball end of the clutch hand lever, nor Less than a 1/4 inch of free movement at the ball end, regardless of which direction the handle bars are pointing. Because it does change with steering angle.

Some 'lurch' with cold oil is NORMAL on most wet clutch motorcycle transmissions when engaging gear from neutral.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. There is .369" of play on the ball end of the lever and .079" gap between the mount and the lever when the lever is depressed to where you just start to feel resistance. My buddy (who give me a ton of crap for not buying a KTM) who is a motorcycle fanatic and races motocross told me to adjust it so you can put a nickle between the lever and the base and it just barely fits/barely falls out. I did that when I first bought the bike and that gives me the play I measure tonight and listed above.

It is good to know about the cold oil. I am trying to think if it does it when it is hot and I cannot remember. I rarely if ever put it in neutral when it is hot and then put it in gear again. I usually put it in gear and do not put it in neutral until I park and it sits for at least a couple hours before I take off again. I will try it when it is hot and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts