Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been internet shopping......

AFX FX-37 $112 Gotta give this one a hard look for the price.
http://www.afxhelmets.com/helmets/fullface/fx-37ds.php?show=orange_m

Shoei Hornet DS $449 The plus for me here is the cheekpads have channeling for eyglasses which I have to wear.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Hornet-DS&h=16&t=2

Arai XD-3 $629 Ouch!!! What I really like about this is that you can get cheekpads and liners in varying thicknesses to fit YOUR head perfectly. None of the others offer this.
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=57#/helmets/moto/xd3/graphic/luster-silver

Trouble is none of the local shops here have any of these. Some have Arai, some have Shoei. None have AFX, and none have any DS.

All of these have a flip up shield and the visors are removable. Both are features I would want.

The Shoei and Arai are DOT and Snell approved, the AFX DOT only. I know there's a big flap going around about the Snell rating allowing too many G's to get to your head in a crash. I would think with the forces generated you would be just as dead one way or another?

I know there is another thread here about helmets but not specifically DS. Anyone here have direct experience with these or others like them? Likes / dislikes?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
One of the guys I ride with has the AFX helmet and absolutely loves it!! His in the Graphite color, and he's got a mirrored shield on it, so everyone calls him Darth when the helmet's on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You would need the large in AFX. I sell them all including the new Joe Rocket RKT hybrid helmet $179

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
23 Posts
afx dual sport helmet

bought a multi color red afx dual sport helmet for 89.99 from ebay plus shipping . very pleased with it . great value for money . tried one on at a local store for sizing before committing to an ebay purchase .

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Iron Pony in Columbus had an in store sale this fall on shoei helmets and I picked up a Hornet. Made some mods and tried it out last weekend. Good helmet, very comfortable, good visor clearity, lots of closable air vents and enough space for the swing around velcro goggles.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buildit - Leaning very heavily toward the Hornet. I do want something Snell certified as it holds the manufacturer accountable to the specs, and as Slo has shown can be had at a somewhat reasonable cost.

How was the fit sizing compared to other helmets you have? Reason I ask is that I will be ordering one online and want to try to get it right the first time so as not have to fool around with returns to get one that fits.

·
Registered
990 Posts
They report optical distortion looking through the shield. What say you?

It's there. A buddy has one and I tried it out...makes me dizzy.

I trashed my last dirt helmet in a couple of crashes and another buddy sent me his old Arai XD...wow!! I've always balked at the pri-ces of Arai helmets, but I'm sold on them now!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I haven't had anyone complain to me about the afx. I have an xd because I got it for cost.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Buildit - Leaning very heavily toward the Hornet. I do want something Snell certified as it holds the manufacturer accountable to the specs, and as Slo has shown can be had at a somewhat reasonable cost.

How was the fit sizing compared to other helmets you have? Reason I ask is that I will be ordering one online and want to try to get it right the first time so as not have to fool around with returns to get one that fits.
The Hornet seems to have more / thicker padding so at first it felt a little snug but it seems to be breaking in well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: distortion in the AFX shield. I took a pic from inside my AFX with the light smoke shield on. I used a security door to simulate a grid that should show any distortion.

I report, you decide :)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: distortion in the AFX shield. I took a pic from inside my AFX with the light smoke shield on. I used a security door to simulate a grid that should show any distortion.

I report, you decide :)
Wow

I have way too much time on my hands today playing with the photoshop:) I'd be riding but it has decided to start raining here.

Magazine reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe AFX does not advertise with them, or dropped off a load of free helmets for the staff.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts