Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only bummer in my 4-county ride in the Utah mtns today was a dying battery. My '06 KLR 650 came w/ an after-market switch that cuts power to the headlights. Could this somehow be draining the battery? I rode for an hour, turned the bike off and when I tried to re-start the battery was almost dead. Next stop: totally dead. It's a new battery, too.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Not sure about the switch, but check the battery for liquid level. I know you say it's new, but check anyway.. KLR's tend to run them dry.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
+1 Paper. I used to have to fill teh battery 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In hot weather a KLR's stock battery water should be checked monthly, but in cold weather it should be checked......monthly also. Always check and clean the terminals when the water is checked. My '08's battery is 2 1/2 years old and hot or cold in any weather the bike starts quickly and easily. The proof is in the results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It also depends on the definition of "new". If it's a week old, I'd say it's very likely a short in the system somewhere.... with the operative word being "somewhere". You are correct in suspecting the switch. Always start with the question "what has changed?" and the switch is probably the only thing changed from the original charging system.
If the battery is a couple of months old, then water levels are probably the #1 suspect.
On the other hand, it's really easy to check the water levels in the battery, at no cost to you. Start there. If they are good, start ohm-ing things out, starting with the switch.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Other than the advise given already I can only add one suspect, the stator. However, the battery in my 06 crapped out after a year and rather than the check and fill drill I went with an Odyssey dry cell. End of problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with Deka brand made by East Penn. Similar technology to oddysey but 1/2the price. The Deka is the battery they use for Nascar. Dry cell and they are plates rather than the cylindricals used in the O, which leaves more surface for charge. The connections are threaded too so no messing with those little nuts. (oops that didn't sound right)

As far as the Stator, mine was bad in my 06 and was covered by manf warranty

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=977

67 bux.

·
Registered
704 Posts
All the above except a new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good battery.

For sure go with some type of AGM batt, whether top 'o the line or not.

OT - glad to see you posting 4stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts