Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent signing of the E15 gas bill what do we have to look out for?

The KLR owners manual clearly states that the fuel should not exceed 10% ethanol.

It also states that fuel lines should be replaced every 5 years, does anyone do that?

Are there chemical incompatibilities with the gas line or other fuel system components?

Will this require a different tune for the engine?

jncdi

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
10 % is bad news; 15 % worse.

Deteriorated "soft" fuel components (gaskets, seals, etc.); consequently clogged jets; and so on.

Not one drop of ethanol would ever have been produced for fuel, without GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES. Stuff is economically unsustainable, without subsidies.

And, for the GREENS; a greater dread CARBON FOOTPRINT exists producing ethanol than does refining gasoline.

Word-on-the-street, HUNGRY people exist in the world. The corn grown for ethanol displaces human-consumable crops. Makes no sense when FOSSIL FUELS are abundantly available for power.

Except . . . cynically, I must add . . . agri-business producing crops for ethanol control considerable VOTING segment, contributing heavily to lobbying and political campaign support . . .

[/RANT]

Now, answering (to some extent) the good questions asked above: I fear the KLR650 owner has no choice but to avoid ethanol concentrations whenever possible, and to clean the carburetor upon malfunction when it isn't. Or, . . . buy a bike less sensitive to the capriciousness of ethanol.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Fuel issue

I must ask?
If I treat my "every tankfull" with some product like TecTron, Stabil, Etc. can I expect to minimize the effects of ethanol?
These products claim to help in storage situations. Why not in everyday use?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The stabilization solutions reduce/prevent the natural propensity of even pure, unadulterated gasoline to, "gum up," in long storage.

I doubt these additives neutralize the solvent effect of ethanol, but . . . maybe they do!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another side affect of ethanol in the fuel is that it is hydro-scopic, it collects water from the atmosphere. In ground storage tanks that are not filled often (gas stations in remote areas or that don't sell a high volume of fuel) can have issues with contaminated fuel. This has happened to me on trips, where I have to fill up where they don't sell non-ethanol fuel. I carry a bottle of heat in the panniers on long trips, and if I have to fill up at remote stations or sketchy looking places I add some gas dryer to the tank when I fill up. I don't wait for the problem to rear it's ugly head! I ride year round, and whenever I can I fill up with non-ethanol and I have never had a problem (after the first time) with bad gas. My spark plug has always been tan and clean when I have checked/replaced it.
I had to do a lot of research into alternative fuels for my mission agency, we work in very remote areas and needed to find alternatives to the glass jar gas stations you often find in some developing countries.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
No it isn't a still, when you are a missionary with a christian mission organization you can't have a still...

It's an alternative fuels refinery. (Cough, cough,wink, wink) :)

PS - We did have all the necessary permits from the state ATF.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ethanol is deadly for you KLR. As it is caustic, even 10% is detrimental to it. There's plenty of Youtube videos on how you can easily remove it from fuel in your garage, but this doesn't help the guy refueling on the road.. Here in Michigan ethanol free fuel is readily available, but at about $1 more per gallon. If you live near a marina it is possible you might find ethanol free gas there, but again, it costs much more.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have serious doubt 10% ethanol is “deadly” or “detrimental” to the KLR. I’ve put almost 10,000 miles on mine running our 10% fuel, and about 80,000 miles on my 83 Goldwing prior to that with no ill affect.
On the other hand, letting a bike sit for extended periods like months with it in the bowls and gas tank with no conditioner, is a whole different deal, but with regular use I haven’t experienced any problems.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, maybe I'm guilty of exaggerating some.. Let me rephrase.. Not good for. in any concentration.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is like anything else with vehicles of any kind, sitting is bad, moving is good. I have seen cars sit in storage for more than a year with ethanol free fuel in the tank. stick a battery in and it fired up. I would not be so sure that would happen with ethanol in the fuel.
That said, I run as much E0 gasoline as I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts