Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed EM brace on my 2011. Could feel the difference even before I left my driveway. Worth every penny.

Masterdale

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Tell me more, tell me more
Did you get very far?
Tell me more, tell me more................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inherent 'looseness" of the KLR front end disappeared instantly. With the knobbies on pavement the sensation is dramatically reduced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
its a great place to mount auxiliary lighting too. I cut a piece of 3/16" diamond plate for a bracket with my plasma cutter, powder coated it at home and mounted 4 LED lights

·
Registered
107 Posts
Inherent looseness?

The inherent 'looseness" of the KLR front end disappeared instantly. With the knobbies on pavement the sensation is dramatically reduced.
Please help me understand 'inherent looseness'. I don't mean to sound snide. I'm truly looking for a reason to put a fork brace on my KLR.

On my first Sportster, I could feel the forks flexing and rebounding during hard cornering maneuvers, causing the bike to feel unsteady. A fork brace eliminated the flexing and rebounding.

On the KLR, I don't notice any flexing or rebounding in hard cornering maneuvers. I did notice some flexing when the bike was fully loaded, maybe overloaded, last Summer when I pushed too hard on a countering steering maneuver, but I chalked that up to poor technique. Maybe I'm just not pushing the KLR hard enough, but more than likely, I'm just not recognizing the 'looseness' for what it is.

I went to Alaska and back on the bike last Summer. I encountered all kinds of road and bridge surfaces. I've been riding the KLR off road. Intellectually, I want to put on a fork brace. But I also want to be able to know it makes a difference. What behavior(s) should I be looking for to know a fork brace will make a difference?

I also get concerned with the posts I've read that say a fork brace can slip and cause problems when ridden hard off road. Should I really worry about this happening?

I also get concerned that putting a fork brace on will potentially cause issues in deep mud with mud getting stuck between the fork brace and the tire, causing the tire to stop spinning. This is probably just dumb thinking given where mud builds up on the back wheel, swing arm, and frame. But the rear wheel is driven. The front wheel is not. BTW -- I don't intend to ride in deep mud often. It sucks!

The whole fork brace decision is something that continues to bug me. Obviously I think too much about this.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
You must be single.
or i have 2 ovens, one in the house and one in my 1200 sq ft workshop, which is the one i use for powder coating. I also have a car lift in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts