Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I’ve got the Eagle Mike RAISING links, and the stiffest spring available from Top Gun and I’ve got progressive suspension in the front. My front end isn’t what I would call unstable I was just wondering what the benefits were from using a fork brace. Got the brace the other day and it’s a noticeable difference for sure.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well I’ve got the Eagle Mike RAISING links, and the stiffest spring available from Top Gun and I’ve got progressive suspension in the front. My front end isn’t what I would call unstable I was just wondering what the benefits were from using a fork brace. Got the brace the other day and it’s a noticeable difference for sure.
I'm glad the Eagle Mike brace is working for you. It's certainly a quality piece of kit and I have one on my Gen II. I installed the brace so that I can mount a fender closer to the tire in an effort to divert road grime and debris away from the engine. I ride mostly on the street so I don't need much fender clearance.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
It is my understanding, that fork braces were invented to assist with more immediate steering control between the handlebars & front wheel during the rapid transition between 'S' bend corners on race tracks & fast roads back in the 60s & 70s when all motorcycles had skinny fork legs.
I can not remember reading back then as to whether adding a fork brace might reduce or induce high speed wobble on certain models that were prone to wobbles.

Fork braces also helped maintain desired directional control of longer legged dual sport bikes in rocky or rutted terrain. But easily plug up in muddy conditions & make a ski out of the front tire, which creates zero directional control.

Have any of you ever swapped bikes while on highway rides with riding partners that had similar long skinny fork legs and the brake disc on the RIGHT HAND side?
I'll bet that you had never noticed that our bikes & theirs have a fair bit of "Brake Steer", until you ride a bike with 'opposite' brake steer. :)

It would be nice to have dual front discs on a Gen 1 or any bike for that matter. All it takes is more money!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts