Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have a 2013 KLR 650 and was wondering if anyone has any pictures of a KLR 650 with these raising links installed. I`ve googled but all I get is pictures of the links itself, I am thinking about buying these links but I would like to know how the bike looks once there installed and how much taller the bike is, im not to worried about the height increase seeing that im 6`1.

Pictures and thoughts please!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I was able to post pics I would show you my BADASS2013

Raising links and rear sub-fender taken off!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
links

Hey everyone,
I have a 2013 KLR 650 and was wondering if anyone has any pictures of a KLR 650 with these raising links installed. I`ve googled but all I get is pictures of the links itself, I am thinking about buying these links but I would like to know how the bike looks once there installed and how much taller the bike is, im not to worried about the height increase seeing that im 6`1.

Pictures and thoughts please!
I can't help on "Raising" links, but I did just install a set of EM lowering links.
They were advertised as lowering 1 1/4".
I measured my seat height before, by placing a level across the lowest part of my seat, with bike upright. Then I measured in same way after installing the links. The difference, measured, was just 1". Pretty close accounting for measuring errors, placement of the level, etc.
I would expect your seat to change by a similar amount as the links you installed.
( The links should be listed as to how much they raise the bike. That is how much the seat would probably rise. )
The bike would most likely lean more with the different links.

I had to shorten my side stand. To see how much I needed to take off the stand, I put the bike on pieces of 5/8" board. ( A piece under each tire, and side stand. ) Then I removed the piece from under the side stand to see how much it would lean. I used 1" boards to check again. Repeated using different thickness of board until I had the amount of lean I wanted. As it turned out, I only needed to remove 3/4" from the side stand.
I mention this because you could use this method to see how much your bike would lean with a given link change before buying a set. Raise the tires by the link rise number, and let the side stand rest on the floor to see how much more lean you will have.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've had those links on for a few years now and like them. There is really no point in adding them to raise the height of the rear of the bike and seat: it's high enough already.

I put them on and am happy with them for the following reasons:

1. Bike leans over on the sidestand much better and thus is more stable when parked.

2. I think it improved what I feel from the rear shock. I don't really thrash my rear shock to its limits, but it seemed to stiffen it up a little bit due to the mechanical advantage it offers over the stock links.

3. I think it threw the weight of the bike toward the front a little bit and improved the handling. Might be all in my head, but the first time I rode it after I put them on I liked what I was feeling under me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone
I wanted to add those links to expose more of the rear tire, now that I have a Vance and Hines exhaust I wanted my tire to come down out of the rear fender to give it a more aggressive look. Also thinking about removing rear sub-fender.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey everyone
I wanted to add those links to expose more of the rear tire, now that I have a Vance and Hines exhaust I wanted my tire to come down out of the rear fender to give it a more aggressive look. Also thinking about removing rear sub-fender.
the raising links only raised the rear 1", sounds like you'd be better off removing the sub fender and relocating the plate and plate light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed the rear sub-fender this morning, really like the results. I think the links would give the bike just the right look im searching for. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming, and pictures as well, if need be, seems like the KLR has a lot of dedicated riders!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need to have "WEAPONS FREE" so I can post pics of mine!

I'm over the posting restriction but still bound by the forum rules on posting pics. I would like to contribute....

·
Registered
18 Posts
So the point of installing raising links is to not bottom out if your running the stock shock on 1st setting.

Or if you want a cheap way to ride 2up without bottoming out....

Or.... If you actually go off-road and your not running Stinko 705 tires, and you can actually say the word, "dualsport" without getting embarrassed, you will love them. I've tried to purposefully slam the back end down on drop-offs but could not get the back end to rub.

Any aggressive riding and you end up breaking off the back sub fender. Most of us know that, hence the relocation of license plate. Get sum raising links... Either RL-1s or RL2s

·
Registered
232 Posts
Removed the rear sub-fender this morning, really like the results. I think the links would give the bike just the right look im searching for. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming, and pictures as well, if need be, seems like the KLR has a lot of dedicated riders!
not sure how much you'll see.... i installed them to change the suspension geometry and so i could leave the bike out when there is a slight breeze not have to worry about it being blown over :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
not sure how much you'll see.... i installed them to change the suspension geometry and so i could leave the bike out when there is a slight breeze not have to worry about it being blown over :thumb:

HI.

Just read reply before mine, you got the RL1. Great. I think I am getting that one too.

How much lift did you get with the RL1 Eagle Mike Links ??

I want to lift and strengthen the rear suspension. I am 6 ft tall. 185-190 lbs.

About the side stand, I did a common fix, the foot on the stand is cut off, then take a section of leg cut off, ( 1 inch) and re weld the foot. That does it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I made my own links. With the bike loaded with bags and camping gear. It was too tippie on the kick stand. I think the way I made mine, it brought the rear up 2 inches unloaded in the lowest pre-load setting #1. You can adjust the hole location for what ever you would like. I think 1/2 inch shorter then stock gave me 2 inches. Steel strap from the hardware store for under 10 bucks. I made 3 sets, 1 set for my bike. Other 2 I sold at my tec day for 10 bucks a set. When I get back to the states in November. I'll get some steel and show people how to raise or lower there bikes at my next tec day. A drill some steel and a grinder, too easy.

Tried to post pictures. It's harder to post pictures then to make the links. I have some how exceeded my picture posting limit. Have to figure out how to delete some I guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cool.

Hope to see some pixes. Upload your photos pnto a photo site like "Flicket" or "Photobucket". Once in there. You can share them into any site.

About Eagle Mile RL-1 and RL-2. Yes indeed EM makes 2 different size Links. RL-1 is the tallest - most lift. RL-2 is the lesser lift- more conservative one.

I got RL-1. Why go conservative. Hate that feeling of "shoulda had gotten the other one " stuff.

Will post pictures when done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts