Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of buying stuff, how about just taking out the oring that sits on the vacuum diaphragm stem? That's what cuts the fuel supply without vacuum. Totally reversible, keeps everything else in place, fuel shut off lever still functions properly. I've been reading conversion stories but never seen this mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before and After

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have mentioned removing the spring that pushes on the diaphragm to close that plunger with the o-ring. Without the spring the pressure of the gas above the petcock will hold it open.

I haven't tested to see if the plunger with the o-ring removed and the spring still in place would restrict fuel flow enough to cause problems at higher throttle usage.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have mentioned removing the spring that pushes on the diaphragm to close that plunger with the o-ring. Without the spring the pressure of the gas above the petcock will hold it open.

I haven't tested to see if the plunger with the o-ring removed and the spring still in place would restrict fuel flow enough to cause problems at higher throttle usage.

Let us know what you find.
It shouldn't restrict anything. The vacuum is still hooked up and will pull the plunger all the way recessed under throttle. It just won't seal up in an absence of vacuum from either failure or being shut off.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
It really should operate exactly like any other manual petcock with plenty of fuel flow to sustain 35 miles per gallon or better at wide open throttle whether the vacuum hose fitting is capped or still connected.
Best of all, you still have about 1 gallon on the reserve side!!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
You might have something, shaky6!

Regardless, jettisoning the O-ring might be an effective, "middle of nowhere," MacGyveresque countermeasure to a petcock failure malfunction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it runs. It hasn't leaked. And it flows through when the bike is off.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So it looked like it didn't flow until you went to reserve and then back to on? Can you remove the oring without removing the petcock?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So it looked like it didn't flow until you went to reserve and then back to on? Can you remove the oring without removing the petcock?
He said the fuel level in the tank was down below the main pickup tube, so reserve only flowed. If it flows for reserve, it will flow in ON. The vacuum valve is past the ON-OFF-RESERV valve.

You have to remove the four little screws on the back of the petcock to remove the o-ring and then reinstall them. You need to at least raise the back of the tank to get to them or drop the petcock down off the tank.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It didn't flow until I went to reserve because there wasn't enough fuel in the tank to get into the top of the stem. It works as it should when the tank is full.

You don't have to remove the petcock, but you have to be able to get to the backside of it to get at the screws.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It didn't flow until I went to reserve because there wasn't enough fuel in the tank to get into the top of the stem. It works as it should when the tank is full.

You don't have to remove the petcock, but you have to be able to get to the backside of it to get at the screws.
Gotcha. Well I'm not going to then bother with the petcock change as this looks simpler and safer for a shtty mechanic like myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's easy. You'll have the tank off anyways when you do the carb kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts