Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed both tires today. Front one, no problem, broke the bead with my hands. The rear tire bead wouldn't budge. After looking around at what I had to work with, I came up with an idea that worked great. After putting a large bolt in the chuck of my drill press, I just used it to press (no I didn't turn the drill on) the bead off.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
My buddy Primitive Pete takes a #2 square point shovel, places the cutting edge on the tire sidewall at the rim, jumps on the shovel shoulder, and presto...broken bead. I own two tire machines, yet can do the job quicker on the floor with a pair of 9" irons. I run into trouble with low profile tubeless tires.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Changed both tires today. Front one, no problem, broke the bead with my hands. The rear tire bead wouldn't budge. After looking around at what I had to work with, I came up with an idea that worked great. After putting a large bolt in the chuck of my drill press, I just used it to press (no I didn't turn the drill on) the bead off.

Kinda hard to do that on the road!

I've had rear tire beads hard to break before. I've tried c-clamps, setting a bike's side stand on it, a bench vice, jumping up and down on it, I've even resorted to setting the wheel on 2x4s and running a car over the bead!, that worked great BTW.

What I do now is just keep working a tire iron around the wheel. Might take 10 trips but it will break free. Use some sort of lube, I like Windex.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Overkill you think?

when I had to take the tires off my new second set of wheels I thought I needed to go big. So I went real big. :46:

In the end I think I could have used my boot heel..

I think this was the only time in twenty years of owning a Hi-Lift jack that I've actually used it for something, and I didn't even need to use it for this.:mad0235:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had always used the walk em off method.

Is there a thread that covers the entire change of tube and tire plus balance? I want to also know about tube patching safely. I want it cheap, and I want to be able to do it anywhere. .......get yer mind outta the gutter!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts