Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 KLR and I have put on the wrap around heated hand grips that I purchased from Dual Star. They work great. My question is, will the electical system support the handgrips, an electric vest and possibly additional running lights and if not is there anyway to increase its output to meet those needs?

Thanks for your help

Cavanagh

·
Registered
23 Posts
It will do the grips ok and maybe the jacket on a low setting but add the lights and you are in negative numbers. I wired in a volt meter to do power balancing. I think Electrosport makes a bigger stator.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
NO!.. The factory stator will not be able to keep up with all that at one time. If you used only one at a time, maybe. There are aftermarket stators out there, but I have also seen a lot of guys having problems with them. Now I do know the 08 stator puts out more than the older first Gen. models. I would be interested to know if it would fit into the older models myself and help out with the load capacity increase that people would like to have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure what the output on the pre-08's are but I think it's less than the 35 watts of the '08s. Amps X volts = watts. Watts/volts = amps and so on. On an '08 that means I have a total of +- 3 ie. 3amps x 12 volts = 36 amps before I start dragging down the battery w/ 13.8 volts being the standard charging voltage. Hope this helps.
Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
electical demands

Thanks you guys for your quick response. This is the first question I posted on this foram and I am very impressed and very grateful for the information. Your right I need to do the math and check with my dealer to see if the new stator works on the 2006 Klr. Once again I appreciate your help.

Cavanagh

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm sorta anti-dealer, so I wouldn't put too much faith in what the dealer tells you about the stator -- they probably don't have a clue. Compareing part numbers would be the best thing to start with. A fone call to the companies that manufacture the aftermarket stators would probably be best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know about the unit for the KLR but I use the Electrosport stator on my FJR1300 and it runs grip, clothes and big lights for seeing bambi at night. Haven't had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
electical demands

Thanks so much for your insight and advice. I really appreciate it. If I get this figured out I will post it on the forum.

Best Regards,

Cavanagh

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you goto LED lights you can free up about 50 watts. Just an LED tail light alone will free up enough power equal to a pair of heated handgrips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think thats right. A 1157 bulb draws somewhere around 10 watts max and the Hot Grips I use are rated at 40 watts. They draw the same low or high but low goes through a resistor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
this is from a KLR schematic....brake light=5 or 8 watts depending on your country model, tail light=27 or 21 watts depending on your country model. I just hooked an ammeter to an 1157 bulb and a 12 volt power supply. The tail light filament was drawing 1.95 amps. The brake light filament was drawing .55 amps. So thats 22.8 watts for the tail and 6.6 watts for the brake. That's in fair agreement with the schematic. The hand grips I'm looking at say they are 30 watts, so that means you have better gloves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Led

Thanks you guys. The LED Tail light is a great suggestion. Regardless of what it actually draws, it will a vast improvement. I really appreciate the suggestion and I will give it a go.

Merry Christmas to both of you.

Cavanagh

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I read the above correctly, with the LED brake light set up and my ditching the tag light all together I should have enough new found power to power up a set of heated grips on low?

I am electrically challenged so be kind with your answers.

Coop

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If I read the above correctly, with the LED brake light set up and my ditching the tag light all together I should have enough new found power to power up a set of heated grips on low?

I am electrically challenged so be kind with your answers.

Coop
The KLR has enough power for heated grips. Just don't add a set of driving lights and try to run both at thr same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys. Once again thank for your help. I found the LED tail light/brake light at NAPA part# 1157LEDW.ALC They cost is around $11 bucks. According to the Parts guy they draw close to nothing. Hope that's true. It is not very bright in the day light though the brake light really lights up. Thanks again for your help and Merry Christmas to you and your families.

Cavanagh

Cavan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts