Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so last ride, my headlight stopped working and my powersocket stops working, heated grips are off after 600km of riding. plug and grips are wired to the brown w/ white wire under front cluster. No high or low beam or running tail light with ignition on. replaced fuses to be sure. no help. checked connections and grounds and found nothing. weird part ... if i put the ignition back to the park postion, i get power to my socket, grips and tail light so i know that circuit is good. brake lights work in the on position. are there more fuses? or just 3? could a blown head light interrupt the whole circuit? i have a clymer only showing 3 fuses. any thoughts? thx. i'll be pulling it apart tomorrow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
head light bulb is good but no power going to it. checked alll connections and fuses again, all ok. Could this be my ignition switch. i havent check the hi/low switch yet, that is next.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - turned out to be the ignition switch. blasted some cleaner in there. good as gold.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok its screwed again after 2 months without a problem. exact same as before. if you can believe it ... supposed to go on a bike trip tomorrow. have to take my wife's klr instead. switch seems ok when i took it apart ...

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You been doing a good job helping yourself. I wish I had any ideas for you, brother. Good luck. Maybe someone will chime in?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bike trip was good. my bike is torn apart in the garage, so i hope to report back this week on what i find. going to swap parts from my wife's bike to mine until i get an answer. im sure it is in the clutch switch or the ignition switch some where. the continuity in the ignition seemed ok, but maybe not making the contact properly when the key is turned. clymer is no help on this.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
need spark help, i'm stumped.

ball sack. swapped out the ignition switch from my wife's bike. no help. so much for theory #1. start/kill switch looks ok. clutch switch looks ok. haven't had a look at the kickstand switch yet.
anyone?with key to on; no head light, no acc power, no tail. with key in park, i get tail and accessory power, and head light icheck good. n light always good, fuses good, starts and runs. battery fully charged, no rundown. female harness from ignition switch to where?
what about the coil and stator?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Can someone please help this man! :character00271:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could be loose contacts in the connectors. Wiggle some connectors to see if you lose power. Pack some dielectric grease in all connectors.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
man i just can't get this. checked all connectors today. re checked the bulb. here is a question (now that i can't find my clymer) there are 3 wires going to the light: black with yellow stripe, red with yellow stripe and red with black stripe and brown dot. Now i can follow the black/yellow to the connector (in the pic it comes to the bottom of the connector in the back and one in from the right) and test the continuity to the light is good, switch on or off) but the red/black/brown wire i dont get any continuity on from the light plug. my question is ... should i? the red/black/ brown also goes into the plug in the back of photo 2, just looks like a splice? both pics under the tank on the right side, just behind the rad.

also a few more checks: with ignition on, i get N light, turn signals, horn, starter,
I don't get : accessory power (brown and black under the farring - power for grips, and socket), headlight or tail light.

with ignition to park i get: all the above plus tail light and accessory
i don't get headlight (ever), no guage lights either

hi/low beam no diff.
starts fine
battery good

Thanks, i hate going to the stealership, but i might just have to pack it in on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it! bit moronic ... more later. thanks.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
now you gotta tell us...:50:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok here it is ... fuses. Kicking myself. I had read about fuses that look ok but are really blown. so in the beginning i changed them both out. but i used spares i keep on the bike. they must have been shaken loose or wet as well. I swapped in some blade fuses and relocated. works like a charm now. I did discover something else that might be helpful for people too. there are a type of mini blade fuses (and regular blades) that actually "glow when they blow." I still need to change out the fan fuse and solder them all, but at least i am back in business. lesson: never trust a glass fuse, even if you check it. also reminds me i need to check them all in my jeep.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you got everything fixed....but I will miss this thread, lol. It was funny how often you replied to yourself, lol.

Do you have a multimeter? That is a good way to verify good/bad fuses. Also a blown bulb can give grief too. Sometimes the burnt/broken filament can cause a short in the system and do all sorts of funky things.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i have one and i used it. i checked those fuses again and they check out ok on the multimeter, but they didn't work in the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
If you do have to buy a new lightswitch I have and would buy the aftermarket switch. Looks like the switch for the V-strom but allows you to turn the lights off while riding. If you do a lot of slow off-road you can run the battery down because it is not being charged. With the light off this shouldn't happen.

Eagle Mfg & Eng, (619) 261-1281, can help you with the switch and the mirror / choke relocator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a similar problem and would like some help. I was driving along and all of the sudden the headlight started to flicker and went out. The instrument cluster and running light went out as well. with the ignition on I get a N light. If I grab both the front and the rear break, all the lights come on. I have the harness partially stripped down and found a melted ground wire from the upper overflow tank mount to where the three grounds come together. what is my issue?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have a similar problem and would like some help. I was driving along and all of the sudden the headlight started to flicker and went out. The instrument cluster and running light went out as well. with the ignition on I get a N light. If I grab both the front and the rear break, all the lights come on. I have the harness partially stripped down and found a melted ground wire from the upper overflow tank mount to where the three grounds come together. what is my issue?
What year KLR do you have?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cut the fuses out and replace with blades. that is where i would start if i was doing it again. they are going to go bad sometime if they arent already. reminds me i still havent soldered mine ...where is my soldering iron?
melted ground? ... short....too much voltage? what kind of voltage are you getting from your charging system at 4000 rmp? check for bare wires. im sure there are better sparks out there than me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What year KLR do you have?
I ride a 1987 KLR. I have completely disassembled the ignition, because climer does not explain how the circuit works. I drew it into my manual. The fuses are not bad. The wires that appear to be melted, I have pulled them apart so they are not touching.

Another note. When the bike is ignition on and I push just the foot break, the tail light does not come on. When I grab just the hand brake the tail light comes on.

I still cannot figure this out. I would like to fix this right before the weekend, or else I will just put it all back together and hot wire the the lights. Thanks, Will

1 - 20 of 23 Posts