Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 KLR 650
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 issues I'd like some advice on. I've owned this 07 for a couple of months now, and the whole time, the clutch safety switch has seemed backwards, as in the bike can only be started if the clutch is out, which means the bike has had to be in neutral. Even in neutral I would get no starter engagement unless the clutch was released. Is it possible to put that switch back together backwards?

And then yesterday, I ran down to the store and when I got back on, the neutral light would not come on, and the bike would not start, no matter where the clutch was.
I fiddled around with it, and tried compression starting it (fat kid on flat ground, never had a chance). Eventually the neutral light started working again and it fired right up.

Any advice on where to start with the neutral issue? More likely mechanical in the switch, or electrical?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
#1,
Too many people install the OEM handguards back on OVER the Top of the clutch switch wires. And most people don't realize that little switch does have a little bit of adjustment to it. It will probably work better if the switch is slide Towards the handle bars.

#2,
Remove the engine sprocket cover and check the wires ahead and behind the chain & sprocket. Are they damaged? Are they tucked into the channel in the main engine case? Is the Green neutral light wire damaged or not securely connected to the switch below the sprocket?

Reactions: Infin8Loop

·
Registered
2007 KLR 650
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1,
Too many people install the OEM handguards back on OVER the Top of the clutch switch wires. And most people don't realize that little switch does have a little bit of adjustment to it. It will probably work better if the switch is slide Towards the handle bars.
As usual, you were spot on here, I'm not sure if the handguards were on wrong when I got it or not, but I definitely reinstalled them that way, did it right, and adjusted like you suggested and the clutch switch works as I would expect now, including starting in neutral with the clutch in or out.

#2,
Remove the engine sprocket cover and check the wires ahead and behind the chain & sprocket. Are they damaged? Are they tucked into the channel in the main engine case? Is the Green neutral light wire damaged or not securely connected to the switch below the sprocket?
everything looked good to me, but I cleaned everything up and double checked that connector, I'll have to wait and see if it acts up again.

Thank you again sir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts