Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fear and cannot wrap my brain around electricity. That being said. Was working on the bike today and noticed the starter boot was near rotted off. I can't believe I never noticed. It didn't look melted, maybe a touch. Just rubber rot.

So, should I wrap some electrical tape around the connection (which looks fine) and call it good, or do I need to get a new boot?

We can attach pics now? I'ma try it. :character00201:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Lockjaw,
You are in 'luck'. They did update that cheesy Thailand rubber part in 2011. New #92071-0705, $5.06!

No harm in just leaving it Exposed!!! It is only 'Hot', when your thumb is on the button!

An extra ATV Winch booty might work? Who do you know?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lockjaw,
You are in 'luck'. They did update that cheesy Thailand rubber part in 2011. New #92071-0705, $5.06!

No harm in just leaving it Exposed!!! It is only 'Hot', when your thumb is on the button!

An extra ATV Winch booty might work? Who do you know?
Awesome. Thanks, brother. :)

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Boot protects connection to some extent from corrosion, I would think. Not ulike a motorcycle cover for a bike parked outside.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
My rubber bits are disintegrating on my 08 as well, I think they were made from surplus chinese party ballon rubber...

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My rubber bits are disintegrating on my 08 as well, I think they were made from surplus chinese party ballon rubber...
I think you're right. I'm not even sure it should be called rubber.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Never heard of liquid electrical tape. Gonna go educate myself. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
An alternative to liquid tape is to spray the connection with Fluid Film, LPS, or other anti-corrosion spray. These also work very well sprayed into all of the bike's electrical connections & plugs.

As others have said, there is no need to have that boot other than for some umbrella effect.

Rubbers are improving as we see many products which died from low quality, the unforeseen effects of environment (ozone to bike chemicals) and age. Many carb issues are due to changes in fuels which the original makers could not have anticipated.

I applaud your level of awareness regarding your bike's condition as most riders don't notice problems of this nature until the bike dies.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
An alternative to liquid tape is to spray the connection with Fluid Film, LPS, or other anti-corrosion spray. These also work very well sprayed into all of the bike's electrical connections & plugs.

As others have said, there is no need to have that boot other than for some umbrella effect.

Rubbers are improving as we see many products which died from low quality, the unforeseen effects of environment (ozone to bike chemicals) and age. Many carb issues are due to changes in fuels which the original makers could not have anticipated.

I applaud your level of awareness regarding your bike's condition as most riders don't notice problems of this nature until the bike dies.
That Fluid Film is pretty amazing stuff, the lanolin in it gives it super "stick tuitiveness". I found out about it from the crane operators at work many years ago (they buy it by the case for servicing their cranes) and now I always try to keep a can on hand.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks. :) Every weekend, I make sure the bike is good to get me where I need to go. Doesn't take long, and I don't like being stranded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts