Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wanted to run this by everyone and see if folks had any suggestions, tips, etc. I haven't completed too much electrical wiring so I hope to get some guidance here.

I'm setting up a new Garmin Montana 700i and purchased a KLR lower dash to power it. I also bought a third party set of USB ports and swapped out one of the cigarette ports on the KLR dash. Here's a picture of the Garmin mount, KLR lower dash and additional wire set that came with the USB ports:

So my idea is to wire the Garmin mount to the extra aux switch that is not currently unwired. This would allow me to turn the GPS unit on and off separately from the KLR dash (I've read that some folks have drained their batteries forgetting to power down the unit when it was hardwired directly to the battery).

The Garmin mount comes with a bunch of wires; in addition to the power and ground, it has yellow, green and blue wires for serial data and a 1/8" audio input jack. I figured I could abandon all of these and just wire the power and ground into the KLR dash. Am I missing something? Do I need the serial data wires or audio input?

Essentially, here's what I think I should do. Please tell me if I'm on the right track or completely lost!

1. Splice in a power line from the Voltage meter to the aux switch, then connect the Garmin mount power line to the other tab on the aux switch.​
2. Splice in the ground of the Garmin mount to the grounds on the Voltage meter.​
3. Use heat shrink tubing on everything.​
4. Use dielectric grease on all connectors.​
5. Run the KLR dash power line to the battery and the ground to anywhere I can find.​

More questions:

1. Do I need to keep all of the fuses in line? The KLR dash comes with a square 10a, the Garmin mount with a smaller square 2a and the USB ports came with a cylindrical glass one which I cannot tell the size of. Should I splice these into the wires connected to the KLR dash?

Thanks in advance for your expertise and feedback!

Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Totally bummed and stuck. Help?!

So I went ahead and wired it up. I ran power to the KLR dash aux switch and then connected the GPS mount hot to the other tab so the switch would allow power to the mount. Connected the GPS ground to the KLR dash ground. Tested it on the battery before I mounted everything on the bike and IT WORKED! KLR dash showed correct battery voltage (12.8v) and the GPS fired up once I connected it to the mount and the the power switch on the dash. The GPS showed that the battery was charging and once I flipped the switch off, the GPS transitioned to battery power. Yes, success!

Now here's the confusing part. Next, I mounted the KLR dash, ran the hot to the battery and ground to a nut/metal plate on the bike, and attached the GPS mount to the handle bars. Went to go for a ride and...no power to the GPS. Huh?!

KLR dash works just fine (ie. voltage indicator working). So I removed the dash and used my multimeter to check all of the connections on the back of it. Everything is showing the same voltage: the indicator, 12v input, USB input and aux switch (to which I connected the GPS mount). SO confusing!

Th only thing I did in between it working and not, was add dielectric grease to all of the connectors and mount everything to the bike. Just went this morning and bought and installed another GPS mount fuse (3a) to double check (even though it didn't look blown). Nothing.

Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
193 Posts
Outta my league ... but someone smarter should be along soon ...

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
You might try a ground wire between the KLR Lower Dash and a paint bared ground on the Fairing mount or Main Frame?
Rather than grounding thru the greasy steering bearings.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,418 Posts
Lots to answer here.

The steering bearings should provide a good path to ground, but as PDW suggested, a separate ground wire is a good idea. You don’t want electrical current passing through the bearings where any sparking or galvanically induced corrosion could cause pitting in the steering bearings.

If adding a separate ground wire back to the main harness or frame does not solve the problem, then you’ll have to troubleshoot. It sounds like you know enough about electrical wiring to do that, just gotta check everything. I’ll bet when you find the source of the problem, you’ll smack your palm into your forehead and mutter something like, “I can’t believe I missed that!”

The picture of your dash panel wiring looks about right. You don’t need all those fuses if the panel is protected by a 10A fuse, but the smaller fuses will provide additional over current protection to the individual accessories. BUT, don’t plug a heavy current accessory into the dash (like heated clothing) because you probably will pop the 10A fuse. Connect heated accessories into their own fused circuit.

The problem of leaving the GPS or other accessories on and draining the battery is real. I’ve done it too. Therefore, I would connect the 10A panel fuse to the main wiring harness brown wire, which is turned on and off by the ignition key. Key off = dash off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the replies here. After more sleuthing on the internet and multimeter testing I figured the unit had somehow died (perhaps the converter which drops the 12v down to 5v). Don't know how, as it did work when I first wired it up and then suddenly after mounting it...nothing.

Called Garmin and they sent me a new powered cradle with overnight shipping, all under warranty (nice!). Tested it directly on the battery and it worked. Wired it up and it still worked. Mounted it and it works!

So glad that one is over. Time for a beer or three! So looking forward to riding with a proper GPS unit.

PS: I ran the KLR dash ground to a nut on the frame that holds the horn in place. Works just fine!

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
PS: I ran the KLR dash ground to a nut on the frame that holds the horn in place.
The oem horn & nut may be rubber mounted, thus Insulated. The horn bracket is rigid mounted with 2 bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts