Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m installing an esg 450 stator on my 1999 and it make no spark at all .do i need the rectifier too from them to make it work ?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The three wires (usually yellow) that charge the battery and run the lights etc. go directly to a regulator/rectifier to provide the proper direct current voltage for the 12 volt DC system.

The separate wires for the ignition system go directly to the capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) unit which powers the ignition coil and the spark plug.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
+ 1. The exciter coils of a Generation 1 stator powers the CDI (ignition system) with alternating current, regulator/rectifier uninvolved.

Besides the three wires mentioned, does your replacement stator have two separate exciter coils with two wires connecting them?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i spoke with the electrosport guy and it seem that the stator is a plug and play so ...its not working i ll just sent it back to them.thanks for your help !

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Race Tech aftermarket stator works fine; upgraded regulator/rectifier also, even though stock R/R would probably handle everything.

Just a characteristic, assume it's the same for all upgraded stators: Race Tech says higher-output stator actually produces less power at lower rpm than the stock unit; higher output at higher rpm.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Ok i spoke with the electrosport guy and it seem that the stator is a plug and play so ...its not working i ll just sent it back to them.thanks for your help !
Does someone ever install one of these 280w with sucess ?
Was your bike running before you started this Hi-output stator project?

How many wires are on your replacement stator? Do they have OEM style plastic connector terminals on their ends? Or do you have to cut and solder splices?

Do you have and Know how to use a VOA meter? Do you have a service manual? Did you test the 2 wire connector on your OLD Stator and compare it to your Hi-output stator.

Has the "Doo-Hickey" been upgraded on your bike or should it also be attended to while you are in the LH side?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a quick comment on rectifiers. They are just a voltage limiter that keep you from frying your battery, etc. Most bikes will produce more juice than needed and the rectifier dumps the excess to ground.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike was running with the oem stator.the esg 450 stator came with a plug and play connection and it didn t start the bike at all but i didn t put the meter on it to know the output i just sent it back to electrosport .my doohickey is done i put the 2014 in it that is made on one piece and a lot thicker and i had to remove 3 coil of my actual spring to make it pull again with 1/8 play .the teflon had some groove in it and even the new spring was not working anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Just a quick comment on rectifiers. They are just a voltage limiter that keep you from frying your battery, etc. Most bikes will produce more juice than needed and the rectifier dumps the excess to ground.
Sorry djeady, that is incorrect!

The Rectifier portion of the VRR converts AC (Alternating Current) from the Alternator Stator windings into DC (Direct Current).
It is the Regulator portion of the VRR which limits the Voltage, by dumping the excess to ground.

Voltage Rectifier Regulator.

And as has been previously discussed has nothing with Spark on a Gen 1 model.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
My bike was running with the oem stator.the esg 450 stator came with a plug and play connection and it didn t start the bike at all but i didn t put the meter on it to know the output i just sent it back to electrosport .my doohickey is done i put the 2014 in it that is made on one piece and a lot thicker and i had to remove 3 coil of my actual spring to make it pull again with 1/8 play .the teflon had some groove in it and even the new spring was not working anymore.
So, are they sending you another stator? Or are you going to reinstall your original which was running?

I truly hope that your Home-Modified doo-hickey spring does Not Break.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reinstalled my oem the same day.and i dont know if their going to sent me another one or what.i ll called them back in two week when they receive it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the spring...you can bend it One time ! that all not more than that.i been doing that with a lot of spring for a lot of year.even my kick stand spring got a thicker spring that i cut the good lenght and straight up one coil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry djeady, that is incorrect!

The Rectifier portion of the VRR converts AC (Alternating Current) from the Alternator Stator windings into DC (Direct Current).
It is the Regulator portion of the VRR which limits the Voltage, by dumping the excess to ground.

Voltage Rectifier Regulator.

And as has been previously discussed has nothing with Spark on a Gen 1 model.
Total brain fart - saw rectifier and read regulator - PDWESTMAN is correct.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It work !!! Got the new one they sent me.it charge ar 13.4v on idle.so now i will be able to use my heat grip heat seat and my Shark sound system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts