Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I decided it's the perfect time to install the EM doo and torsion spring into my 2013 with 11000 KMs. I got the parts from another owner who got them new and totalled the bike before getting around to installing them, I know his was a Gen2 but can't remember the year, though I don't think it matters anyway.
The job seems pretty straightforward, one detail has me somewhat confused. Drilling the hole. I watched several videos and Eagle Mike installed it on a new 2022 model drilling the hole at about 4 o'clock and said it should be drilled at '4, 4:30 or 5'. Then i watched another video that said to put it at 5-5:30. I drilled mine at about 4:30. Putting it on with a little hooked pick was very straightforward. Then I started second guessing myself. Should I have made it more at 5-5:30? Am I overthinking it? Does it make a notable difference but only at
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle part

higher wear levels?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
You are over thinking it.

I do recommend that before allowing re-adjustment (every 6000 to 10000 km) that one Should remove the 2 plastic timing plugs and use a socket wrench to rotate the crankshaft CCW to TDC (the original assembly point). Then loosen & re-snug the locking bolt (70 INCH Pounds).

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650, '04 Kawasaki Connie (sold), '94 HD FLHTCU, '71 Honda CB750K1 (sold)
9 Posts
I had the same question after watching the doo hickey installation video. I was concerned because the torsion spring pulls the mechanism CW and fixing its anchor point farther CW (at 5:30 instead of 4:00) will place more tension on the mechanism. However, I believe you're saying that the doo hickey upgrade improves on the original counter balancer chain tensioner design by providing more consistent and more reliable tension, with emphasis on "consistent and reliable." As long as the tension is "consistent and reliable" the difference in tension afforded by an anchor point anywhere between 5:30 and 4:00 is well within the tension requirement to assure adequate counter balancer chain operation. By the way, that is a great photo of the installed doo hickey!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts