Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650, '04 Kawasaki Connie (sold), '94 HD FLHTCU, '71 Honda CB750K1 (sold)
9 Posts
I follow the thought process of low idle times, hard quick acceleration and minimal highway during break in of all my new vehicles and never had one use oil. Maybe the klr will be my first;). I will say that I changed oil and filter in my '22 at 400 miles and it looked like more metal than oil LOL. But 1000 looked normal.
This is helpful - and also the compression braking alternating with accelerations makes a lot of sense for seating new rings in that pristine cylinder.

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
Which topic are you referring to?
How people break-in new bikes. Slight variations, but all pretty similar.
Darn! I was hoping CC was referring to higher speed oil consumption!

I'd love to hear that the KLR650 is Not the only 650 & larger single cylinder engine occasionally afflicted by a birth defect.
And what the KTM / Husqvarna / Honda or Suzuki riders do about it on their bikes?

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
Me too. I just had to ask.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
38 Posts
Darn! I was hoping CC was referring to higher speed oil consumption!

I'd love to hear that the KLR650 is Not the only 650 & larger single cylinder engine occasionally afflicted by a birth defect.
And what the KTM / Husqvarna / Honda or Suzuki riders do about it on their bikes?
Of the few KTM/Husqvarna people I've interracted with or watched videos from, they break-in their bikes with the hard accel/decel method. Otherwise the oil consumption is a sure thing.

Of course said bikes also make 74 hp out of one cylinder. They rev so much higher than a KLR or DR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am quite surprised that they have increased the break-in pace by That Much, That Early!

6000 rpm beginning at a mere 150 miles/200km. 88 miles per hr in high gear could legally get one a speeding ticket on any highway in the USA, I think.

From a mere 250miles/350km "Ride Moderately". HAHAHA!!!! They have already encouraged their owners to exceed "moderation"!
Um isn’t it screaming rpm’s in first gear at 31 mph?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got my 09 in 2012 with 2000 miles on it. I didn't know how the original owner broke it in, so for the next 500 miles I accelerated briskly, and downshifted pretty aggressively. How I ride now is to accelerate a little faster than most traffic if I am in the front, and I only use engine breaking in 5th gear and then pull the clutch and use the breaks to stop. My 09 only uses oil if I run over 5000 rpm, which is rare for me.
Oh, Rotella, 90 octane non-ethanol, 705s. The nobbys cupped real bad on the front, no problem with the 705s.
Just went over 88,000 miles earlier this week, still doesn't use oil under 5000 rpm. 😁

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
38 Posts
Oh, Rotella, 90 octane non-ethanol, 705s. The nobbys cupped real bad on the front, no problem with the 705s.
Just went over 88,000 miles earlier this week, still doesn't use oil under 5000 rpm. 😁
My vote for the 705's may be shifting towards the Dunlop Trailmax Missions. Of course they are much pricier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can get a set of 705s, tubes and delivered for the price of a rear Dunlop Trailmax Mission.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
38 Posts
I can get a set of 705s, tubes and delivered for the price of a rear Dunlop Trailmax Mission.
That's true. I was just saying I was interested in the Mission's, not declaring them winner 😂 .

More than likely will stick to the 705's for my KLR also. But for my Super Tenere? Definitely interested in the Dunlop over another set of Metzeler Tourance's. Waiting for more long term reviews to show up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I joined your 88,000+ Mile Club, Monday Nov. 15, 2021, just before giving her another oil & filter change. :)
What year is your KLR? This is my primary vehicle, so I ride to work, if I take a business trip without my wife I take the bike. Until covid I was averaging a little over ten thousand miles a year.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts