Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my new trustworthy feeling bike to Hollistrr Hills and on way home it would cut out at all speeds but jumpstart itself when letting out clutch and made it home. It didn’t overheat on the whole ride, feels fuel related and looking over all the past posts on this issue it seems to need a carb cleaning etc... 04 KLR w 18000 miles. I have a clunkers(clymers) manual is this gonna be easy for a mechanical newb haha?

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
As Banditcilik says, start with the easy stuff, but chances are good that you will have to clean the carb. Lots of stuff here to help you do that. Look for the videos.

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I reviewed that this eve after work and was going to adjust a little... then my friend who went w me (he has DR650 and is proficient w wrenching) called me and I talked his ear off about the issue...he says “do the simple stuff first.” Gonna adjust RH idle speed knob( thx pdwestman) an air filter review and maybe drain underside of carb and not do more and get back to him. I think the fact that it runs good on choke is making me still happy w the bike at least.

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you simply need to adjust the RH idle speed knob on the carb to achieve 1300 rpm in neutral without holding onto the throttle grip?
I am thinking that’s what it is as I rode the thing as it has never been ridden haha & my friend led me up some hillclimbs I would have sure not done solo riding. Shaking on some ribbed out terrain and bottoming out shocks for hours also haha... so the RH idle spring maybe failed the shakedown test

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
If it runs with choke, but not without it, then the jets are clogged. Dumping a can of Seafood or Techron into the tank might help, but the great majority of the time, it requires carb removal and cleaning.

At some point soon, you should check the valve clearances. With 18,000 miles, I'll bet they haven't been checked in awhile either. I would do it while the tank and body panels are off to clean the carb. That will save you removing those a second time.

·
Registered
2006 KLX300S--2022 KLR650--2017 Z650
64 Posts
Don't forget to check the easy things first : is the tank vent clogged, is the vacuum petcock having problem, etc.
Yeah, it sounds like a fuel delivery issue at first glance. IMO vacuum fuel petcocks are crap. They introduce another unnecessary point of issue. Your bike is old enough that the diaphragm or inner tank screen could be failing/clogging. Being that you were already at operating temp and going down the highway at different speeds with the problem, I'd doubt it was the pilot jet/pilot circuit. The choke solution you mention is interesting in that the choke usually only comes into play for staring or keeping the engine running if the pilot jet and circuit are clogged. I don't know...internet fueling and electrical diagnoses can be difficult, and I take that you're somewhat new to mechanics. Let us know what your friend and you come up with on the final diagnosis.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also, should you need to perform a carb cleaning DO NOT forget to check/set the 'float height'.. I believe it's spec is 17mm from the flange +/- 2mm. Best wishes & ride hard for life is short

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it runs with choke, but not without it, then the jets are clogged. Dumping a can of Seafood or Techron into the tank might help, but the great majority of the time, it requires carb removal and cleaning.

At some point soon, you should check the valve clearances. With 18,000 miles, I'll bet they haven't been checked in awhile either. I would do it while the tank and body panels are off to clean the carb. That will save you removing those a second time.
[/QUOTE
Also, should you need to perform a carb cleaning DO NOT forget to check/set the 'float height'.. I believe it's spec is 17mm from the flange +/- 2mm. Best wishes & ride hard for life is short

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang it sounds above my tools and my experience level of it gets to valve check/rebuild carb and i don’t want this issue to make my bike sit around. I may send to shop for valve check/carb clean after doing the simple stuff. Thanks for advice as I can talk to the mechanic and transfer all the info I got here if it gets to that point.

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am concerned over movingRH idle speed knob as it won’t run without choke.. theoretically I would turn idle knob as I lower choke on warm up to keep the idle good?

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Rode my new trustworthy feeling bike to Hollistrr Hills and on way home it would cut out at all speeds but jumpstart itself when letting out clutch and made it home. It didn’t overheat on the whole ride, feels fuel related and looking over all the past posts on this issue it seems to need a carb cleaning etc... 04 KLR w 18000 miles. I have a clunkers(clymers) manual is this gonna be easy for a mechanical newb haha?
Crossing fingers and I tried to start with tank cap off after the ride and it wasn’t that... almost beyond my abilities but not quite.
Your title says "if no throttle pull".

You did not mention anything about needing to use the 'choke' to keep it running in your first 2 postings.
Lack of complete & accurate information gets you in-accurate advice.

Wasn't even mentioned by you until your 3rd posting.
Yes I reviewed that this eve after work and was going to adjust a little... then my friend who went w me (he has DR650 and is proficient w wrenching) called me and I talked his ear off about the issue...he says “do the simple stuff first.” Gonna adjust RH idle speed knob( thx pdwestman) an air filter review and maybe drain underside of carb and not do more and get back to him. I think the fact that it runs good on choke is making me still happy w the bike at least.
I hope you find a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your title says "if no throttle pull".

You did not mention anything about needing to use the 'choke' to keep it running in your first 2 postings.
Lack of complete & accurate information gets you in-accurate advice.

Wasn't even mentioned by you until your 3rd posting.

I hope you find a competent mechanic.
Your correct my title is what is happening... engine dies if no throttle pull... last eve I ran bike to see what was happening and with the choke lever on it will run.. take choke off and it will die. Also I have when at running temp it will cut if throttle not pulled as it did in the ride home the other night. Confusing to keep outputting info when the problem is so vague... I apologize and when I do get to the bottom of this I will let all know. Hey also if you need to build a house you can text me questions and if I need some info I will put out a post to y’all! Thanks for the great advice!

·
Registered
2006 KLX300S--2022 KLR650--2017 Z650
64 Posts
pdwestman is right...your last comments shed quite a bit of light on the issue. OP, I understand the lack of real clear specifics if you're not used to diagnosing mechanical issues like this. Your condition of the bike not capable of idle or running at low rpm without the choke is classic pilot jet/circuit plugged. On the valve adjustment, while it may be a good idea to get them adjusted if you don't have sure details between valve service intervals...gives you a fresh start on service times from here on out. Still, I doubt the valve adjustment has anything to do with your current issue. Hard, cold starting is the primary symptom of tight valves while yours definitely sounds like carb.

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes and although valve adjust is needed to be checked on intervals it did sound great before the ride... the way the old gas (purchased bike recently) was probably being thrown around in the tank I think emptying tank of gas too... thx all and I don’t wanna keep clogging and get to do more tractoring! 1st gen KLRz (if this post only gets to be seen by 07 and under haha) has gotta be most capable KLR there is for sure... blew me away!

·
Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes and although valve adjust is needed to be checked on intervals it did sound great before the ride... the way the old gas (purchased bike recently) was probably being thrown around in the tank I think emptying tank of gas too... thx all and I don’t wanna keep clogging and get to do more tractoring! 1st gen KLRz (if this post only gets to be seen by 07 and under haha) has gotta be most capable KLR there is for sure... blew me away!
I would have preferred a new one but didn’t have the money because it had big benefits... one day I will have a gen 1 and a gen three... miss an actual windscreen!

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
And pay attention to what PDW said about finding a competent mechanic. They are scarce and getting scarcer. Chances are good that the shop you choose will cause more problems than they solve. You will probably save time (not to mention money) by doing these tasks yourself. You may be a newbie, but with the resources here, you can do it. Many others have.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts