Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
You will probably save time (not to mention money) by doing these tasks yourself. You may be a newbie, but with the resources here, you can do it. Many others have.
With a little help from your friends,

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And pay attention to what PDW said about finding a competent mechanic. They are scarce and getting scarcer. Chances are good that the shop you choose will cause more problems than they solve. You will probably save time (not to mention money) by doing these tasks yourself. You may be a newbie, but with the resources here, you can do it. Many others have.
I know and funny story... I read so much about KLRs here before I became a member to this site and always would read past posts about a bunch of stuff and always like his approach to problems... PDWestman your and others advice is still “top shelf” far as I am concerned 👍

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
With a little help from your friends,

Just saw this... thank you!

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am blessed to have such a friend as Tom with the DR650 as he was the Dr. for sure! All fixed and thank you to all who suggested doing myself as I invested in it all (12 mil crows foot too!) to do the job! I learned so much just being an assistant (I ain’t a rookie)! I couldn’t reveal how he simplified (in quick order) the work he did but he made it almost a “trail side” repair as he didn’t remove from boots etc just after all the prep I did till he arrived he just loosened the hose clamps and spun side then the other for full inspect and even drill/large gauge screw/remove plug and set to 2 turns out (prepped for elevation)((needle turn possible))... learned so much and sorry mechanics everywhere who say need to remove if... possible to clean pilot jet etc thanks to all who gave advice (and videos)as I watched and learned from them and watched each one at least 5 times! Toms 4 carb videos maybe more haha! Thx and I am up to tractor anytime! Thx again PDW and all others again as my understanding is way more than having a shop do it and I will be removing my own CVK40 myself one day haha! Oh it was a pilot jet totally stuffed (had a big mix of wire sizes, I think it was LV wire and was barely small enough to unclog)

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am blessed to have such a friend as Tom with the DR650 as he was the Dr. for sure! All fixed and thank you to all who suggested doing myself as I invested in it all (12 mil crows foot too!) to do the job! I learned so much just being an assistant (I ain’t a rookie)! I couldn’t reveal how he simplified (in quick order) the work he did but he made it almost a “trail side” repair as he didn’t remove from boots etc just after all the prep I did till he arrived he just loosened the hose clamps and spun side then the other for full inspect and even drill/large gauge screw/remove plug and set to 2 turns out (prepped for elevation)((needle turn possible))... learned so much and sorry mechanics everywhere who say need to remove if... possible to clean pilot jet etc thanks to all who gave advice (and videos)as I watched and learned from them and watched each one at least 5 times! Toms 4 carb videos maybe more haha! Thx and I am up to tractor anytime! Thx again PDW and all others again as my understanding is way more than having a shop do it and I will be removing my own CVK40 myself one day haha! Oh it was a pilot jet totally stuffed (had a big mix of wire sizes, I think it was LV wire and was barely small enough to unclog)
I had grease for screws that needed them for install when needed but didn’t change out screws on carb top/bottom or get new bushings for skid plate #toast haha etc but it purrs at 1200 rpm solid now (and not faultering below) (new fuel mixture setting at 2 turns out?)

· Registered
2002 KLR 650
321 Posts
Crud sucking will happen. Carb cleaning is pretty easy. A little space with good light, a laptop to watch video instructions. I'm new to this and all went well for me. Bike ran way better and I get to understand it more. Seemed over my head but is actually like a flow chart. This controls that...

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Haha bout seafood! I almost threw a halibut on the radiator grille doing a wheelie for a while! On a side note here... my title should of read “fine w choke on/dies when give throttle pull or take choke off”.. the night I rode it home from a hearty trail thrashing it would die w clutch pulled in but throttle pull(while moving fast enough to jumpstart) kept it alive... lucky that eve as it was getting dark and those gen 1 lights... yeah not updated yet jaha:/

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Glad that your carb was not too yucked-up and was able to avoid removal, full disassembly & soaking of everything.
Sometimes one gets lucky.

As to the headlight. it probably mostly needs Vertical Adjustment. Bolt in a slot at the bottom.
With front wheel against a vertical wall, on level ground. Make note of or mark High beam Bright spot.
Back 25ft away from the wall with all body weight possible in riding position.
The high beam bright spot should have a 2 inch drop with rider & gear on-board.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
106 Posts
In my last post, that was supposed to be "Seafoam" not "Seafood"! :LOL:

Damn autocorrect.
So I should take that Shrimp Cocktail out of my Tank now?!?!?!? ;)

Willie

Reactions: Timlang60

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Glad that your carb was not too yucked-up and was able to avoid removal, full disassembly & soaking of everything.
Sometimes one gets lucky.

As to the headlight. it probably mostly needs Vertical Adjustment. Bolt in a slot at the bottom.
With front wheel against a vertical wall, on level ground. Make note of or mark High beam Bright spot.
Back 25ft away from the wall with all body weight possible in riding position.
The high beam bright spot should have a 2 inch drop with rider & gear on-board.
Yes I was reading up on that recently on a previous thread and remember you saying that and I totally agree for my current setup, thanks andthat would be great and will do that... maybe auxiliary lights that are halogen may be ok for stock electrical set-up for more light? Not “new-thread worthy” question...

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And my bike doesn’t have the wrap around front crash guards but those look to have a good fog light mount area compared to current zones on my bike...yes I remember I read that they were calibrated for 170.. I am 240 on a light day jaha

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
maybe auxiliary lights that are halogen may be ok for stock electrical set-up for more light?
The Gen 1 bikes have kind of a low alternator output. Halogen bulbs are 'power-hungry'.
If after properly adjusting headlight you still feel the need for more light, use LED's.

· Registered
566 Posts
Reactions: BkKcaliKLR

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Gen 1 bikes have kind of a low alternator output. Halogen bulbs are 'power-hungry'.
If after properly adjusting headlight you still feel the need for more light, use LED's.
Thanks and I just need a wall cuz being a carpenter I have a tape haha. That one eve I felt like a firefly at night in a Football Arena...invisible to traffic! I feel that more than the light output issue was the time of day... gonna adjust for the moment as I am really trying to be out daytime only (bad eve accident from lack of light from the beam of a KLR 250 long time back) May switch to LED just because it puts a more noticeable shine... Cali drivers suck:/

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm looking at this product simply because it's about 100$ cheaper than doing the JNS replacement headlight. Albeit, it's probably not as good as the JNS but it’s certainly better than stock..
Tusk H4 LED Bulb | Parts & Accessories | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Biggs3118 thanks for advise and if I don’t achieve from a adjustment what I need I will def get that... 100 bucks saved is a 100 bucks! I am mostly on mellow roads 20-30 min out to where I ride but they get dark in the eve... almost better to wait for total darkness than the eve dusk/condensation time of eve I was in.

· Registered
300 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts