Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 KLR last September which I have been very pleased with, but when sourcing out some vibration at certain RPM noticed the stock engine guard was cracked at both lower mounts. I purchased a new stock one as my off road experiences will most likely just be forestry roads so not overly concerned with a heavier aftermarket guard. I immediately noticed after installing the new guard that I was getting a "reverberation sound" coming up from under the gas tank. It is a very annoying sound not there previously and I verified it by taking the guard off again which eliminated the sound. I remounted it using rubber washers but the sound soon came back and taking it off again found the heat fried the washers. Anyone here have a similar problem and found a solution? I am thinking of drilling holes in the guard but strange that the original did not do this unless it was because that it already had cracks to diffuse the sound.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. Is all the OEM hardware there? Ther are some funky little flanged washers (IIRC) that might make the difference. I would like to know where all the heat is coming from to fry rubber washers too. It mounts to the frame, how could it get that hot?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ditto.....above....?

Have you checked all engine mount bolts to make 100% sure they are tight?
What is your temp gauge reading? I'm trying to picture how the stock skid plate could get hot at all....? Not calling you a liar by any means(strong wording sorry).....OR are we talking about the header heat shield? If that is it then I have seen many come loose and vibrate. The bolts usually get so locked into the header they snap when played with. The sheild has top hat shaped washers similar to the seat and skidplate. If you get them off the header without snapping them, you can grind down the shaft part of the top hat or the cylinder to allow the bolts to tighten against the rubber against the header. I did one last week to stop this rattle. It doesn't take much to be ground off to get them to do the job correctly. I use never sieze to help stop the bolt freeze or lock into the header.....does it work after time with the amount of heat involved....I can't say.

:tent6:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am talking about the stock hard plastic skid plate that mounts with four 8mm bolts to the frame with reinforced washers in the skid plate. It is identical to the one I took off which was cracked. Immediately after installing it I get the reverberation sound at speed. I don't hear it at idle. It is not a rattle and I have checked all bolts for tightness on the engine, frame and body panels. When I take the skid plate off and ride the reverberation sound is gone. As for the heat, this doesn't surprise me. I have a Triumph with a belly pan made of similar material which I had to replace after hitting a deer. The original pan came with a reflective material heat shield tacked to the inner side which the replacement did not come with and it completely deformed from the heat from the headers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am wondering if what you are hearing is engine noise being reflected back up to you from the skidplate and not reverberation?????
You are the first to report a vibration from what I know of the skidplate. Just trying to help pinpoint the cause.....some are installing some closed cell foam to stop the reflection of sound from aftermarket skidplates, maybe you have the same issue with the stock one?

I'm at a loss here....like I said I haven't heard of this before.:popcorn:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I was thinking it is engine noise being reflected from the skid plate. Sorry my wording/description was likely misleading. One of the reasons I purchased another stock plate was that I was afraid this might happen with an aftermarket metal plate. Strange the sound wasn't there with the original plate which made me think that the cracks along the bottom attachment points dispersed the sound. It is annoying as a friend mentioned it after trying the bike out. I was wondering if I drilled a few holes along the bottom it would help.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts