Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think there were enough posts about engine guards so thought I'd start another:)

Seriously, it's tax return time and got alittle extra somethin', somethin' this year. And would like to purchase some guards for my '09'. Something that comes up high enough to offer protection for those wacky radiators shrouds as well as something to attach extra foot pegs to.

Photos a must please.

Thanks and hope you all were given a gift from ole' Uncle Sam this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
im also in the market, high priority now since i went down the other day and cracked the fairing. bump for good info

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im also in the market, high priority now since i went down the other day and cracked the fairing. bump for good info

That's exactly what happened to me and why I want some kind of protection. I'd rather blow 250bucks on a new muffler but figure its better to pay now then to pay more later replacing plastic or worse, radiator or engine parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check out Happy Trails Nerf bars, I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dont have any pictures but I have the Happy Trail bars as well, I have tested them a few times and am still happy. One small issue is you have to pull the nerf bars to pull the fan shroud and or the fuel tank. If you can live with that they will serve you well. The highway pegs are more comfortable then they look. They have a nerf bar/highway pegs/skid plate combo for a pretty good price. Or at least they did, and the skid plate is a quality unit as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too have the Happy Trails with highway pegs. I installed them just a few weeks ago, so I haven't had a chance to "crash" test them. I purchased them to protect the engine guard, which I've crunched a few times and decided enough was enough. I like. Seem very sturdy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How easy were these to install. I can do some "minor" stuff on my bikes --- but if it gets too intensive it just isn't worth the pain

·
Registered
206 Posts
How easy were these to install. I can do some "minor" stuff on my bikes --- but if it gets too intensive it just isn't worth the pain
Mine took about 30 minutes or so, a second set of hands would have helped. It was really a pretty easy project. You will have no problem at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine took a lot longer than 30 minutes (a few hours). I installed them by myself and have had very little experience working on motorcycles. But it was worth it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I sell happy trails combo and I'm trying to get enough people to get a sw motech deal together. Contact me at 510 889 7900 ask for Paulo during business hours PST

·
Registered
26 Posts
New info on Happy trails nerf bars. I just drop tested mine. The bike fell over in the driveway, the fairing was absoluletly destroyed! The cross bar is bent at least 45deg. I may have been better off with no nerf bar at all. I recommend trying another brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New info on Happy trails nerf bars. I just drop tested mine. The bike fell over in the driveway, the fairing was absoluletly destroyed! The cross bar is bent at least 45deg. I may have been better off with no nerf bar at all. I recommend trying another brand.
Ouch man, I feel your pain. It has been extremely windy here and always a fear of mine. I dont mind the breakage if I am doing somthing I know I shouldnt do but when you dont have anything to do with it, that is just wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's going to cost me several hundred dollars for repair parts and I don't even know yet if Happy Trails will send me a new cross bar. The cross bar bent like it was made of butter. I lost the left fairing, rear turn signal and the nerf bar. I'm not happy with Happy Trails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are there any front engine guards that will fit my '85? I'm planning on making my own pannier mounting brackets, guess I could make engine guards too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine took a lot longer than 30 minutes (a few hours). I installed them by myself and have had very little experience working on motorcycles. But it was worth it.
I'm wondering how long it's gonna take me coz I'm new to bikes, was never too enthusiast about bikes before. I'm thinking of installing them, if I can't who can help me? do they come with instructions, a manual perhaps?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I too was able to install the Motech guards by myself and took me about 6hrs, an extra pair of hands would have made it alittle easier. The instructions were mediocre at best but once you get the parts in hand and begin looking at everything then it becomes very self-explanatory how things go together.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts