Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the posts on mods for these 650 engines. All good info. Unless I misunderstand, it’s a good Idea to do the banjo bolt mod on any yr model-correct? I am capable of doing any of the oil filter feed and restriction mods also. I am wondering if use of full synthetic 15-40 Agip I Ride ( that I have a case of ) AND the oil mods would be the best of solutions for these engines.( With oil changes @ 5k w/ full syn oil.)

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
I read the posts on mods for these 650 engines. All good info. Unless I misunderstand, it’s a good Idea to do the banjo bolt mod on any yr model-correct?

Correct!

I am capable of doing any of the oil filter feed and restriction mods also. I am wondering if use of full synthetic 15-40 Agip I Ride ( that I have a case of ) AND the oil mods would be the best of solutions for these engines.( With oil changes @ 5k w/ full syn oil.)
Any 15W40 with the JASO MA / MA2 or MA3 endorsement is OK to use. The "best of solution" will probably never be determined.

Have you read this article on this site? https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/paul-westman-s-mods-to-fight-oil-burning

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any 15W40 with the JASO MA / MA2 or MA3 endorsement is OK to use. The "best of solution" will probably never be determined.

Have you read this article on this site? https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/paul-westman-s-mods-to-fight-oil-burning

Yes? I have followed and read about the oil consumption trials and tribulations ! Very interesting stuff. And one last thing Tom quoted that hotter,thinner oil is better ( if I read that right) leads me to ask if using a 5w-40 full Syn oil would be better yet!!! ? I ask because I have a case of that too. I would love to be able to use it, or at least mix it. It is also an Italian brand Agip I-Ride product. I do not however wish to take any chances if the possibility exists any harm or possible inadequate oil issues to the engine (being a 5w-40, Jaso spec oil)though I don’t see how it would IMO, seeing it is still rated to 40. You guys are a lot smarter than me on oil/engine issues.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You may receive an Owner's Manual when you get your KLR650, rodent64! If you follow the oil recommendations there (or in the Service Manual you will doubtless obtain) you can't go wrong--as long as you don't run it with insufficient oil.

I'm confident Owner's Manuals are available now from Kawasaki; if you want Kawasaki Service Manuals for Generation 1s, I think you need a KLR600 "base" manual, and a KLR650 supplement. Generation 2 factory Service Manuals stand alone, as do Clymer publications for each generation, AFAIK . . .

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
leads me to ask if using a 5w-40 full Syn oil would be better yet!!! ? I ask because I have a case of that too. I would love to be able to use it, or at least mix it. It is also an Italian brand Agip I-Ride product. I do not however wish to take any chances if the possibility exists any harm or possible inadequate oil issues to the engine (being a 5w-40, Jaso spec oil)though I don’t see how it would IMO, seeing it is still rated to 40. You guys are a lot smarter than me on oil/engine issues.
I've used Shell Rosella T6 in 5W/40 and my bike didn't explode. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it's JASO certified.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KLR forever- thanks excellent info. The oil I have is Jaso certified, 5w-40 full syn oil Agip Iride. Italian oil used in Vespas, maybe Guzzis. I have a full case (retails for $15.80/liter ) I paid half that amount straight from a distributor , so it makes me happy to know I’ll be able to use it. Of course I have to buy the KLR yet, but this means I am just that much more prepared .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts