Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 KLR
According to the Clymer shop manual, about the engine oil filter mounting pin:

"When cleaning the pin, check that the spring-loaded valve is clean and free to open. Press the valve open from the narrow end of the mounting pin."

What does that mean exactly?
I asked one Kawasaki mechanic and he had no idea...

Thanks
Chat d'Gouttière

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have no idea either.. All I know is you need to make sure you don't throw away the tube that goes up into the oil filter when you install it into the engine. It will only go one way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm like DXKLR I'm not sure eithere. Just make sure the tube goes back in with the new filter. The tube will only fit one way. An oil & filter change is one of the easier task. A dealer charges way to much for some of the simpless jobs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I thought it meant that if you grabed the pin between your thumb and finger, you'd be able to sqeeze it a bit, with an inside spring pushing it back out to full length... so since mine could not be squeezed, I figured I'd check and see if that's what it really means, in case I should be replacing it... oh well. It's probably just fine.

I just flushed, cleaned, and refilled the cooling system! I just had to celebrate with a nice cold beer :) ... but then I got carried away, and pulled the carburator out, planning to clean it over the winter... I think I just got myself in trouble doing that... we'll see.

Question: now that the gas tank is off, I tried emptying it by simply holding it above a jerry can and turning the fuel valve on... but nothing is coming out. Not even on the valve "reserve" position... Yes, there is lots of fuel left in the tank. What the??

Chat

·
Registered
704 Posts
The petcock has a vacuum cut-off.

Apply vacuum to the small port on the valve. If you don't have a vacuum pump, just put the hose on the port, apply mouth suction and clamp the hose (vise grips will work).

Sounds kinda like a Martha Stewart moment - ...just suck it in..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
The tube that goes inside the oil filter has a spring action bypass valve inside of it. I usually check it during oil filter changes by pushing a screwdriver into the tube and working the spring a couple of times to make sure it is not seized up.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The tube that goes inside the oil filter has a spring action bypass valve inside of it. I usually check it during oil filter changes by pushing a screwdriver into the tube and working the spring a couple of times to make sure it is not seized up.

Whoo Hoo!! I learned something today!!

I'll check mine the next time I change oil..:)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
+1 Inky. This type of post is a good reason to repost some of the older known possible issues...

...Simple things like...
... using a Nyloc for your rear wheel adjuster
... to tighten the exhaust clamp behind the rear brake master cylinder
... loosen the rear motor mount when removing the swingarm for clean & lube
... check the water level of your battery multiple times a year
... replace the doohickey as soon as you purchase your KLR
... ???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip Tim!
I guess I should be checking out the KLR forums over the winter months to pick up this kind of info. I'm new to the KLR world, and never did much wrenching on my other bikes, so I can learn from everyone, here!
Thanks, and happy holidays everyone!
Chat

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Thanks for the tip Tim!
I guess I should be checking out the KLR forums over the winter months to pick up this kind of info. I'm new to the KLR world, and never did much wrenching on my other bikes, so I can learn from everyone, here!
Thanks, and happy holidays everyone!
Chat
Chat you are in a safe world if you pay attention to the information and advice of the KLR forums. Find Tech Days in your area and make good use of them. If you do this you will soon be the person providing direction and advice.

The KLR community is a helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, and fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! Thanks Tim!
I've got lots to do as soon as it gets a bit warmer in the garage:
change the brake fluids, reinstall the carburator, change the fork oil, and so on. Meanwhile, to kill time, I'm planning to clean up the carb, which will be a first for me. So lots of fun coming up :)

I don't know about the Tech Days, but I'll sure keep an eye open for them.

By the way, Tomatocity: what is a doohickey?

Happy New Year everyone!
Chat

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Cool! Thanks Tim!
I've got lots to do as soon as it gets a bit warmer in the garage:
change the brake fluids, reinstall the carburator, change the fork oil, and so on. Meanwhile, to kill time, I'm planning to clean up the carb, which will be a first for me. So lots of fun coming up :)

I don't know about the Tech Days, but I'll sure keep an eye open for them.

By the way, Tomatocity: what is a doohickey?

Happy New Year everyone!
Chat
Hi Chat,

It is a Balancer Lever Adjuster and is the number one mechanical weakness of a KLR650. Eagle Mfg & Eng manufactures a replace kit. Eagle onlt sells to Happy Trails and Aviciouscycle in Canada. All of the other replacement kits are Chinese clones and do not meet the standards of the Eagle parts.

Do yourself a favor and keep track of every part in the carburetor. Take photos if possible. You can reference the parts in the manual. Don't lose the float pin since it can easily fall out without notice. Replace the bowl and cap bolts with the stainless steel allen head kit that Eagle Mfg & Eng provides.

Happy New Year 2009

·
Registered
72 Posts
Off klr650.com about the doo.

If what they say is true I wouldn't say it was a low quality part at all. Perhaps I should buy one and get it checked out.

http://www.klr650.com/Doohickey.htm

As many have heard from either the web or other KLR enthusiasts, the bulletproof design of Kawasaki's KLR engines have but one flaw. This flaw happens to be within the tension system for the counterbalance chain. The problem arises when the poorly made stock idler shaft lever (aka "the doohickey") fractures, splits, or cracks just from the normal wear and tear of riding. This eventually causes the chain to put excessive tension on the spring (which eventually breaks in due time as well) therefore leaving the chain "flopping" around inside the case to cause expensive damage to other parts or even seizing the motor. But, with this new upgrade kit, you can be assured peace of mind. This kit provides all the necessary parts to replace the poorly made stock doohickey and springs with higher quality.

MADE IN THE USA WITH 100% ISO CERTIFIED MATERIAL

SPRINGS ARE ISO CERTIFIED AND ARE MADE OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL RATED AT 400 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT
* LEVER IS MADE OUT OF 17-4 STAINLESS STEEL, HEAT TREATED TO CONDITION H1150

* TENSILE: 145KSI

* YIELD: 125KSI

* HARDNESS IS ISO CERTIFIED AT 33HRC TO PREVENT DISTORTION WHEN TIGHTNED

WARRANTY IS THE SAME AS KAWASAKI, 12,000 MILES OR 1 YEAR AND EXTENDED IF CUSTOMER HAS KAWASAKI'S EXTENDED WARRANTY

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Off klr650.com about the doo.

If what they say is true I wouldn't say it was a low quality part at all. Perhaps I should buy one and get it checked out.

http://www.klr650.com/Doohickey.htm
I bought one with springs and a torsion spring with all the tools from klr650.com last year. Havent spent the time yet to install it. I was under the impression that it was an Eagle Mfg. product. I dont remember why I came to that conclusion but if the KLR650.com part is not an Eagle Mike built product I dont want to install it. Anyone have a solid clarification on this? Is the KLR650.com doo an Eagle Mfg. product?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont remember why I came to that conclusion but if the KLR650.com part is not an Eagle Mike built product I dont want to install it. Anyone have a solid clarification on this? Is the KLR650.com doo an Eagle Mfg. product?
Why don't you want to install it, do you really think it is an inferior part?

Or is it just that you want an eagle mike part?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I bought one with springs and a torsion spring with all the tools from klr650.com last year. Havent spent the time yet to install it. I was under the impression that it was an Eagle Mfg. product. I dont remember why I came to that conclusion but if the KLR650.com part is not an Eagle Mike built product I dont want to install it. Anyone have a solid clarification on this? Is the KLR650.com doo an Eagle Mfg. product?
It is not an Eagle product unless you have the Eagle Mfg & Eng sticker and instructions with it.

Yes both of those items are inferior if they have not been improved.

Andy if you want to support Chinese made products (copies) and a company that copies other persons / companies products that is up to you but please don't try and convince others to do the same. If you sell your heads through them I bet in a year they will drop you and sell a Chinese copy.

Wishing all of you a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Why don't you want to install it, do you really think it is an inferior part?

Or is it just that you want an eagle mike part?
If I am going to go to the trouble of installing a new Doo I want the best part that I can find to put in so I have total piece of mind and confidence that I wont have to install a new one. If the KLR650.com part is not an Eagle Mfg. part then I wont install it. I read the add that claims that it is made in the USA but there are too many positive testimonials for the Eagle part and to many negative testimonials for the Kawasaki part and no testimonials as to the quality of the KLR650.com part. I am not convinced that the KLR650.com part is not an Eagle Mike part. Untill this thread I had no doubts as to wether it was an Eagle Mike part. I am at work so I cant go out and check my parts to see if there is anything distinguishing the parts as Eagle Mfg. or not. If any one can verify one way or the other I would be grateful. I am at work until Sat and wont be home to check my parts and it will bug the crap out of me until I find out for sure. So if anyone knows pipe up. Long story short, if it is not an Eagle mfg. part it is worth the $40 or so dollars to buy an Eagle part for the piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts