Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a couple of weird problems over the past month. Although I am not sure if they are related. I have a 2008 KLR650.
First, I noticed black spots where I park as if something was leaking. I checked near the drain plug and it was wet with oil, although I can't seem to figure out if it's leaking at the drain plug or somewhere else? Is there any reason it would leak or any particular spots known to be an issue?

Also, I noticed in the oil level glass, it is foggy (white) condensation on the inside making it hard to see the oil level. I tried taking it for a little 10 mile ride yesterday and got the engine nice and warm - but it still has the foggy condensation. What could this be? And could these two issues be related at all?

I am hoping I can find a simple-ish fix for this. Or else pay a shop a decent amount to tune-up and fix it. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would start with the simple things first. Retorque your drain plug and check for leaks, if you still have one, replace the crush washer. As much as I'd like to suggest that the crush washer will last forever, it won't. If it's damaged or just worn, it's a cheap first step. Condensate on the oil window could mean a lot or not much. Try warming the engine then parking (engine off) the bike with the oil fill cap off for a while (to evaporate the moisture). If the oil is milky you have another (more expensive) problem. If your leak goes away and your moisture problem abades, you own someone a beer. If not, you better save your money for the shop.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
As PH said you leak may just be the oil plug. Another spot to check is behind the front sprocket. The output shaft seal will leak if the chain is too tight and the oil will run down around the drain plug.
To fix the milky oil situation your oil needs to get up to around 195* for 20 or 30 minutes to get rid of the moisture that is mixed into the oil. Try putting a small piece of cardboard in front of part of the radiator to bring to temp up. You want the temp gauge at about the half way mark.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
All I can add is that wrapping the drain plug in some heat-rated teflon plumbers tape might stop your leak. I use it every time. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I will give that a shot.. I took it on a decent ride today, got the temp up and took the cap off after I got back. I also retighten the drain plug... The condensation appeared to be gone and no new leak yet... so, I will take it out again tomorrow and see if the condensation or leak seems to re-appear.
It is at about 17,000 miles.... I am assuming it's a good idea to take it into a shop and have them do the annual mileage full service/tune up?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I will give that a shot.. I took it on a decent ride today, got the temp up and took the cap off after I got back. I also retighten the drain plug... The condensation appeared to be gone and no new leak yet... so, I will take it out again tomorrow and see if the condensation or leak seems to re-appear.
It is at about 17,000 miles.... I am assuming it's a good idea to take it into a shop and have them do the annual mileage full service/tune up?
They'll just take your money. The shop is not going to do anything that you can't do.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
They'll just take your money. The shop is not going to do anything that you can't do.
Take your money AND probably screw up your bike. :50:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HaHa... I thought about that... What exactly needs to be done on the "full service/Tune-up" as suggested in the manual?
I was going to have them look at it mainly if I couldn't figure out this leak issue.. but, MAYBE I fixed it (fingers crossed), I hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts