Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my Droid phone for navigation and mapping, but find the level of detail is inadequate for national parks or national forests.

Can anyone recommend enhanced map downloads that provide adequate detail of forest roads, etc. in national parls and national forests, especiallg in east TN, western NC, NW GA areas?

Thanks for any suggestions,
CW

·
Registered
148 Posts
No signal...no map.

I use my Droid phone for navigation and mapping, but find the level of detail is inadequate for national parks or national forests.

Can anyone recommend enhanced map downloads that provide adequate detail of forest roads, etc. in national parls and national forests, especiallg in east TN, western NC, NW GA areas?

Thanks for any suggestions,
CW
I do most of my riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway in central VA. I use a Droid X. I have several Maps and Nav Software downloaded to it, but the one I seem to use the most is a geocaching software called "C:geo". Geocaching is not my main purpose when I am out on the bike, but I like to find geocaches if there just happens to be one nearby. (If you don't know what geocaching is, then visit www.geocaching.com)

It is really not a true navigator software, and it just shows where you are and your surrounding area, but I am amazed that I can be on some obscure atv trail up in the forest and it will show it.

Unfortunately, using your phone for your navigator is your limiting factor. You are totally dependent on cell tower signals. In the forests, this is spotty, at best. A real GPS is better.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, using your phone for your navigator is your limiting factor. You are totally dependent on cell tower signals. In the forests, this is spotty, at best. A real GPS is better.
Actually, I find that as long as I can get a satellite link, my Droid nav works fine. Lack of a cell tower does not seem to affect the mapping or the nav function. Oftentimes I will find myself in places on my Droid map, but unable to make a phone call. The key is the sat link.

I expect today's smart phones to be the death knell for traditional GPS devices very soon. Ditto for Sirius/XM radio. Pandora radio is free, and infinitely more useable.

Might be time to sell all that Lowrance and Garmin stock, LOL!!

CW

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't use a Droid I use an Iphone but the apps are similar. Some navigation apps do not have resident maps, they use google maps which requires download in realtime from the internet. So even though the GPS is functioning and getting signal, the map may not update without cell coverage.

For street navigation I use Tom Tom on my Iphone. The whole map is on the phone so the cell coverage is not an issue. I also use Motion X for some mountain biking stuff it requires a cell signal as it uses google maps.

I'm going to get a Garmin 60 CSx for navigating my KLR off road. Seems that everyone is extremely happy with that unit for this purpose.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlie:
Check out www.mapdroyd.com... they offer offline maps for the Droid that are accessed from the SD card: no need to have an internet connection. There are several utilities like this one, but rather than trial and error, I am looking for first-hand use experience from someone in the KLR community. Maybe I'll just try one, and report back.

Later,
CW

·
Registered
522 Posts
How is it ,Clogan, that you expect sat radio to die due to a phone. Yes there is the Sirius/XM app, but it isn't too good if you lose phone service. There are plenty of places where that still occurs. Pandora does not have any talk radio or news channels of which I am aware. Sometimes, a dedicated device is better.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen many first-hand user reports yet for any systems, so I thought I'd do some research.

I downloaded GAIAGPS for the Android, and am impressed with what I see so far. Good topo detail; forest road detail; real-time compass. It will probably suck the battery, so I'll have to either turn it off while not needed, or plug my Droid into bike power supply. Demo is free for those who want to test it. Full app is $9.99. I'll report back with more after I have a chance to get in the woods with it, but it's pretty impressive from here in my office at work (shhh!!).

First impression: This app appears to give the Droid user a viable, low-cost alternative to a "real" GPS.

More to come,

CW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts