·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does a 2 1/2" washer change the angle the bike sits at?

That laser cut one looked like it would keep everything the same.

On water? I saw a guy in the paper that got a fine recently around here taking a snowmobile across a small lake... he also got a fine for not having a permit for a water show or something... but I digress.
thanks

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The washer mounts just like the laser cut one. They are pretty much the same thickness and simply add a larger foot print.
Its only going to raise the bike the thickness of the washer, but I lifted my bike an inch, so actually mine sits at an optimal lean now with the lift kit. For those that don't lift their bikes, we have started cutting the lower portion of the kickstand down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to create more lean. The KLR's just stand up way too straight from the factory, at least for those of us around here. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out Twin Headlight Ernie's add-on for side stands.
He's a KLR rider and a great guy, to boot!
$35 and he makes them himself.

http://dakotamotorsports.net/sitemap.aspx
Just received my "fatfoot" in the mail today from Twin Headlight Ernie (2HE). Great product, still only $35. Nice guy who makes quality bike accessories for the KLR as well as other bikes and autos. You can check his stuff out at:http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/Dakota-Motorsports

Send him an email if you have any questions about his products, very personable guy. :)

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I use the Sink-No-Bob but found the hose clamp mounting a little on the crude side. I just drilled a hole through it and my stand pad and put a bolt/nut with washers through it. The material the pad is made out of is soft enough that the bolt head sunk down into it, but tough enough that the bolt won't rip through it. It works well.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I'm all about elegance: my wife would probably disagree with that claim, but I think I am.

I don't see why they don't just supply a bolt/ washers and nuts with the kit so it can be done right instead of clamping it on and wondering if it's going to fall off or get ripped off if it hits something. Don't really see why anybody would mind drilling a small hole through their sidestand pad in order to do so.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I carry no brief for Sink-no-Bob, but . . . my guess is, the hose clamp system provides tremendous versatility and ease of installation.

In minutes, the Sink-no-Bob can be insalled on a wide range of bikes; further, the heavy-duty stainless steel hose clamps are more robust and serviceable than one might think.

Some customers are reluctant to drill holes in their nice machines; even in unobtrusive locations such as you've developed. Customers may be neither competent nor confident in such operations.

Your "refined" mounting has a distinct advantage; the pad doesn't "wander" about. With the hose clamp fixture, the flexible pad and metal kickstand foot can become misaligned. Hasn't happened to me, but--a serious misalignment might make the pad ineffective.

I may center my Sink-no-Bob pads, retained by their hose clamps; then, drill through the pad and side stand foot and install the bolt-and-nut as you have done. Then, I'll have an equivalent of belt-plus-suspenders holding the pad in place!

Good idea; the manufacturer could supply both hose clamps and bolt-and-nut; then the customer could decide which method to use, or use both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm super cheap and super simple... not needing the larger stand pad very often, I carry a small piece of 1/2" plywood in the tank bag and it suits the need just fine. In any location where I need to worry about the stand sinking in, one half inch rise isn't gonna cause a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
To be fair, I also have a raising kit which makes my KLR lean over quite a bit more when on the sidestand. I found the SNB installed with a hose clamp squirmed all over the place when I used it. In the original configuration (not leaning over way enough when on the sidestand, in my opinion) it might have worked fine.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I'm super cheap and super simple... not needing the larger stand pad very often, I carry a small piece of 1/2" plywood in the tank bag and it suits the need just fine. In any location where I need to worry about the stand sinking in, one half inch rise isn't gonna cause a problem.
Good idea. I've also heard the cut-off lid from a metal vegetable, etc. can works quite well for this. Very light, yet strong enough to spread out the weight of the bike on the stand in soft material.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Hell, anything will work. Crushed beer can. Boot. Rock. Really, really dirty stiff underdrawers. I even know one crazy guy that makes carbon fiber 'cards' (and I use it every time I park my bike on my MIL's fancy driveway). :)
Thanks Paper!

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing before I bought the SNB, but I've found that the older I get, the more I tend to forget things. I guarantee you whatever I used to put under my kickstand would be remembered about half an hour and 50 miles down the road later.

Maybe if I carried 10 of them with me, it would take me a month or so to run out of them. I'd go through a 4x8 sheet of plywood and 100 cans of green beans in a year. It was more cost-effective for me to invest in the SNB.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts