Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BP in Foley Alabama is advertising 100% gas no ethanol the 89 octane ,a nice gesture and hopefully a trend starter for other gas retailers :desismiley1:

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flash there are a few stations that have pure gas and a station can purchase it
Try www pure gas .com unfortunately there mostly in Canada and Alaska .
In Foley here it,s rite on the pump 89 and the cost is less than the 91.:63a:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The BP in Foley Alabama is advertising 100% gas no ethanol the 89 octane ,a nice gesture and hopefully a trend starter for other gas retailers :desismiley1:
Hey dr! Nice to see you round again! :) How's the weather down there?
Regards....justjeff

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Jeff sorry to hear about the snow sounds like it may be a long winter ,the temp today was in the 80's but dropping to the middle 70f in a few days and yes the kaw is racking up the miles take care Ron :50:

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I could find a pure gas location within 50 miles from me I would only fuel up their... Sucks to be stuck with screwethonol:animal0034:...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm lucky in that the station closest to me has pure gasoline...also offers E10, but I stick with the pure gas. MUCH less troublesome for my boat, bike, weed trimmer, leaf blower, lawn mowers, et al. Price difference was only 4 cents per gallon at last check. Since pure gas contains 10% more energy, a 4 cent premium for the good stuff makes sense and cents!

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did it

My second tank of BP 100% gas ,I think better milage and the bike runs better ,
I think . But remember when we went from pure gas to ethanol the price went up but cleaner ( nonscence burning ) well once again the price goes up for the pure somehow this in my opinion don,t add up ,lol,it,s 40 cent,s a gal more now or roughly 9 cents a liter .:12a::character00271:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
My opinion only, but . . . were it not for government subsidies, not one drop of ethanol would ever have been formulated for motor fuel. Basis for this belief: Ethanol, standing alone, is not economically viable.

Why, then, grow corn for motor fuel instead of to feed the hungry?

Answer: Misplaced compassion and mischaracterization of "global warming" and the effect of man on the phenomenon. Ironically, the global warming, "carbon footprint," and energy required to produce ethanol far exceed that of "fossil fuels." Even Al Gore admits that fact.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've seen too many carburetor jets clogged with the gunk of ethanol to appreciate alleged (but bogus) feel-good "we're saving the planet" propaganda.

The General Store proprieter at Detrick, VA, gateway to Tasker's Gap OHV Area of George Washington National Forest, told me he quit carrying ethanol-free gasoline, because--his supplier charged more for the product, and his customers would drive over the mountain to Woodstock, VA, to save the few pennies difference a gallon . . . a consequence of Big Government interference in economic policy . . .

[/rant]

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
In addition Damocles I believe that the US gov is using the ethanol blended fuel to try and reduce dependence on foreign oil. Possibly more than supposed global warming concerns.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
In addition Damocles I believe that the US gov is using the ethanol blended fuel to try and reduce dependence on foreign oil. Possibly more than supposed global warming concerns.
Regards....justjeff
Good point, well taken.

I'm sure you're quite correct, justjeff, "energy independence" is used as a justification for subsidizing ethanol production, as it was for subsidizing Soylendra (solar panels) and A123 Systems ("Volt" car batteries), both now defunct.

Is energy independence the primary driver for ethanol production? Perhaps so. Yet, an alternative appears more practical and effective to me: Allowing more drilling for domestic oil, and approving a pipeline for Canadian shale oil might also reduce dependence upon foreign oil as well. These options, unlike subsidizing ethanol production, would cost no taxpayer funds and would not contribute to the national debt and deficit.

The US government supports and encourages oil production in Brazil (where ethanol is produced from sugar cane), but seems less enthusiastic about developing domestic oil and gas reserves.

Just thinking; automobiles, trucks, and buses have been converted to run on cleaner (than gasoline) natural gas; anyone ever heard of a natural gas-powered motorcycle?

O.K., we get a federal grant, and loan guarantees, and then we . . . :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Good point, well taken.

I'm sure you're quite correct, justjeff, "energy independence" is used as a justification for subsidizing ethanol production, as it was for subsidizing Soylendra (solar panels) and A123 Systems ("Volt" car batteries), both now defunct.

Is energy independence the primary driver for ethanol production? Perhaps so. Yet, an alternative appears more practical and effective to me: Allowing more drilling for domestic oil, and approving a pipeline for Canadian shale oil might also reduce dependence upon foreign oil as well. These options, unlike subsidizing ethanol production, would cost no taxpayer funds and would not contribute to the national debt and deficit.

The US government supports and encourages oil production in Brazil (where ethanol is produced from sugar cane), but seems less enthusiastic about developing domestic oil and gas reserves.

Just thinking; automobiles, trucks, and buses have been converted to run on cleaner (than gasoline) natural gas; anyone ever heard of a natural gas-powered motorcycle?

O.K., we get a federal grant, and loan guarantees, and then we . . . :)
I have some experiance with LNG powered vehicles. The problem is the weight of the storage tanks is very high due to the extreme pressure (3500 PSI) required to liquify nat gas. A 3/4 ton pickup was over max gross weight with a set of tanks capable of 250 miles range with no other cargo in the truck. Pretty much impossible to do on a bike I'd say! The smaller the vehicle the bigger the relative weight penalty. The other problem was the power was only about 50% of gasoline powered vehicles.:(
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ethanol itself is not a problem in fuel systems designed to resist the effects of the water absorbed by the ethanol. It's when a machine is left stored unused and the water begins to precipitate out of the gasohol and begins to corrode parts, freeze, etc that the fun starts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another problem of ethanol is that pure Ethanol is a corrisove. I work for a company that sells corrosion inhibitor to ethanol plants to spray on the insides of rail cars before filling with ethanol. So even diluted with gas some corrosion will take place.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
We've been dealing with ethanol here in Missouri for a long time. I've never had it cause any problems in anything I run. That being said, I also dump a generous amount of Seafoam in anything that's going to be sitting and not running for 3 months or more. I guess the government propels the ethanol industry and the ethanol industry propels the gasoline-additives industry. On the other hand, I forgot to put Seafoam in my snowblower and since I didn't use it at all last year, it had sat for 2 years without running with 10% ethanol-blended fuel in it. I went out to start it the other day and it started on the second pull.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
We are fortunate to have several stores in Cleveland, and TN for that matter. Many just offer the 87 octane, but there is one in town that offers all 3 octane's! The 93 octane 100% really helps the suburban when towing the camper.......adding '104+' additive really makes her pull!!!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
So I’ve learned a few things after cleaning up that mess in the photo above. That was a shot under the throttle plates on my fuel injected KTM. Under that, in the intake runners are ports for the MAP sensors that were plugged causing major fueling issues. I’ve not had any major issues with the KLR that Sea-Foam hasn’t cured.

The problem is not in the ethanol but in the water it attracts. My problem is the bikes sit for long periods and the ethanol has plenty of time to collect this water contaminating the fuel in the tank. Seems all the fuel conditioners do the same thing and that is to emulsify any water present making it easier to pass through the engine. Plus some cleaning agents. It’s still contaminated with water, just passable.

What to do? I’d love to find a station that had pure gas but there is not one here within 50 miles so that is not an option for me. Plus if you are away from home you get fuel where you can, I have to live with it. I have an ethanol tester coming
http://www.fueltestkit.com/ because I think the place I’ve been getting fuel is blending more than 10 percent. I can use this at other local stations to see what the actual ethanol content is also. Strangely enough the method is to add water so that the ethanol bonds to it and settles out to read percentage in a graduated vial. I relayed this info to a fellow rider and friend that also happens to be an engineer to pick his brain for a solution. His solution was to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and to add a fuel tap at the bottom of the tank and simply drain off any water collected over a period of time before riding. On the KLR this would be simple, add a tap to the bottom of the fuel bowl at the carb, turn the petcock to reserve and drain until clear. The KTM has shared tanks left and right with an equalization tube running between the two at the bottom where a tap could be mounted, easy also.

So, going way out into left field I was thinking I could “distill” so to speak the ethanol out of the gasoline by adding water and draining off the ethanol completely making my own pure gas. Now, it is also my understanding that ethanol is added to the fuel stock to raise the octane rating so if that is done what would the actual octane rating be? I have no way at this time to calculate that and now I’m just rambling so I’ll quit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts