Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited 27 Jan 2023..... Read post 46 before installing a phone on your bike. It seems the KLR likes to destroy camera sensors. If you want a phone on the bike......the work around is put an old phone on the bike and Bluetooth it/Hotspot it to a new phone stored safely on you or in a saddlebag. Good Luck.

I figure I am going to post up as the Fed Ex guy brings the parts in. I have side racks for bags coming as well as a V stream mid sized front windshield and some lights. I think I am going with the Pelican cases on each side because I used them in the service and you can't kill them very easy. I have a nice Nelson Rig trunk/rear bag on the way as well.

Let's start with the first box that came in today. Actually, it might be the simplest add on but it was something I missed instantly after leaving the dealer's lot. I ordered a wireless charging/phone mount. I looked a tons of products and chose this one. It fit on the handle bars perfectly and had a few mount adapters.

Must have for running my gps aps and Waze. I ran the wires through some loom and followed the cables and wires down the fork and under the tank. Hook it right to the battery for now. The charger has a hidden on/off button, so I like the idea of charging the phone with my ignition key in my pocket.

I will say this phone is waterproof (Tested it fully on the Goldwing last summer in a drenching storm) so I chose to mount the phone in the elements and not under the windshield. I have a mount coming from Alibaba that would mount this phone over the speedometer and out of the windblast. But who knows when that will come in.

I'll report back if anything unexpected is noticed.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Reflex camera Camera lens Camera

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update..... Took the bike to work today... 37f. BRRR.. Was focusing on the cell phone mount. Held perfect for highway road at 75. Was careful to see if the locking screw would release or vibrate and counter screw out. Nope. Was solid. There is a rubber washer in between the nut and the frame that is making a snug fit. Looks like a faster charger because my phone was topped off when I got to work. 35 min drive. I can say I am not happy with the windscreen. I know some bikes don't have them but I needing an upgrade bad. My head buffets in the wind. Just bad luck I am tall I guess. The new windshield should be in Wed as well as the trunk bag. Should have some good pictures up Wed night or Thursday night. I had an odd thought while riding in. Most of these mods have been done before and I was wondering if I am wasting my time posting. I think it is still a valid effort to post this up because this was a bone stock 2022 KLR and I have reached the age where I can batch order everything at once and get most of the mods done all at once. I can make a very concise all in one thread and share what works for me and what unexpected things have happened. Plus I like looking at everyone pictures and I always wish for more pictures than are posted. I'll go heavy on the pictures :)

I can share the first unexpected thing that happened.... The plastic orange faring is squeaking on the right side of the bike where it comes into contact with the dash. I didn't even touch that side last night when taking things off to run wires. When it idles there is annoying high pitch squeak that changes as the bike reves up/vibrates. I think the two plastics are rubbing somewhere and the little clear washers they have from the factory are either not working or its under. I bet it's on the underside. I will drop some felt under the faring and see if that helps. Very annoying.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
I think EVERYONE with a 2022 has had, or will have, the squeak from the plastic at some point.

If you remove the black covers on the upper side (triangle looking with one screw and two grommets if I recall correctly) you will see the spot where the Faring meets the Tank. There is a small strip of clear "Rock-Guard" type of stuff they put to keep them from rubbing together. If the Screws for the Plastic(s) are loose and/or this is worn/missing/improperly placed it can cause these noises. If the "Rock-Guard" type of stuff is not doing it's job, it can be reapplied or..... sometimes just checking the fasteners and making sure everything is aligned and tight will fix it.

Wishing you all the best in your quest!

Willie

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice bike, I will be watching this carefully to see the progress! Did you use pelican cases for your Optics, weapons and TO gear or on a GOVT issued motorcycle?
We stored 9mm Berettas in them and some of our material when we flew missions in Iraq and Afghan. Funny story. I flew on the AWACS for 10 years and then the JOINT STARS for the last 10. Right before I got there someone was bored and was spinning his gun around like a moron and it went off in flight. Blew a hole in the aircraft and instead of punishing the idiot that did it they took everyone's shoulder holsters and guns away. Put them in peilican cases and locked them. That was the story that was passed on by the old guys but it sounds about right. Someone poops in the Air Force and they force everyone to wear diapers. I made sure as I got up in rank I reprimanded the violators and rewarded the people that followed the rules. But I ran across an excellent post here of someone who did this mod. I cheated a bit and instead of pulling out my welder I bought the "dirt rack" mounts. They had a 20% off sale going on and I do my best to support the economy. I'll post up lots of pics once they get in. I think my trunk bag comes in and they will be what I really need.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
We stored 9mm Berettas in them and some of our classified material when we flew missions in Iraq and Afghan. Funny story. I flew on the AWACS for 10 years and then the JOINT STARS for the last 10. Right before I got there someone was bored and was spinning his gun around like a moron and it went off in flight. Blew a hole in the aircraft and instead of punishing the idiot that did it they took everyone's shoulder holsters and guns away. Put them in peilican cases and locked them. That was the story that was passed on by the old guys but it sounds about right. Someone poops in the Air Force and they force everyone to wear diapers. I made sure as I got up in rank I reprimanded the violators and rewarded the people that followed the rules. But I ran across an excellent post here of someone who did this mod. I cheated a bit and instead of pulling out my welder I bought the "dirt rack" mounts. They had a 20% off sale going on and I do my best to support the economy. I'll post up lots of pics once they get in. I think my trunk bag comes in and they will be what I really need.
Just curious, does the American Army and Marines sell the old KLR bikes they have? I saw several overseas when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan, they looked solid. Not sure on the diesel though. The Astralian Army here every now and then sell off the old WR450 and DR650 bikes they have. I have a few stories as well of Army guys spinning pistols and rifles. The best one was flying in a Chinook, guy was spinning a pistol, went off, just missed the rear gunner/loadmaster who was sitting on the ramp, then the pilots being oblivious to the back, went vertical for some reason, bye bye pistol as it got dropped and went straight out the back ramp. The paperwork for that was long, I was lucky I was just the NCO then and my LT had to do all the paperwork. I however got to do all the "reward" retraining.
Can't wait for the pics, your bike will be ready for anything then.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just curious, does the American Army and Marines sell the old KLR bikes they have? I saw several overseas when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan, they looked solid. Not sure on the diesel though. The Astralian Army here every now and then sell off the old WR450 and DR650 bikes they have. I have a few stories as well of Army guys spinning pistols and rifles. The best one was flying in a Chinook, guy was spinning a pistol, went off, just missed the rear gunner/loadmaster who was sitting on the ramp, then the pilots being oblivious to the back, went vertical for some reason, bye bye pistol as it got dropped and went straight out the back ramp. The paperwork for that was long, I was lucky I was just the NCO then and my LT had to do all the paperwork. I however got to do all the "reward" retraining.
Click this......... Super slow but 96 mpg. Not the best speed but wow. 96mpg! My buddy flew Chinooks but a mortar round hit the chow hall and he was hit in the head with debris. When he woke up he was a bit scrambled in the head. After he got right they made him an intel officer. Worked out well. He is now hob knobbing with the brass. Oh.... as for do they sell them. Ironicly the dealer I bought my bike from got one in on a trade a while back. The salesman was telling me about it. They said they didn't know what to do with it and nobody knew how to work on it. So I guess some were sold or "gotten rid of" I'd like to ride it but I bet I would be disappointed. They are really nice now. Thank you for your service!

· Registered
532 Posts
Yep
There’re for collectors only, absolutely awful to ride, SLOW.
I know someone that has one he paid 13k for it’s in new condition.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
Click this......... Super slow but 96 mpg. Not the best speed but wow. 96mpg! My buddy flew Chinooks but a mortar round hit the chow hall and he was hit in the head with debris. When he woke up he was a bit scrambled in the head. After he got right they made him an intel officer. Worked out well. He is now hob knobbing with the brass. Oh.... as for do they sell them. Ironicly the dealer I bought my bike from got one in on a trade a while back. The salesman was telling me about it. They said they didn't know what to do with it and nobody knew how to work on it. So I guess some were sold or "gotten rid of" I'd like to ride it but I bet I would be disappointed. They are really nice now. Thank you for your service!
Everything is built for distance in the Army. Built to last and keep going. A postie bike will keep running with the smell of oil in the tank, the same as the Australian Land rovers. Can't imagine the diesel KLR would be fast, plenty of torque though. Don't think the Marines would hand over the service manuals for them. Would like to ride one too, but agree, would be disappointed too.
Must be a good guy to get into intel, I always found that the best intel officers were officers that were a previous officer of something else. That way they had experience in the field first before going behind a desk. I hated it, i was in the field and behind the wire for over 10yrs then someone decided I would be a good candidate for a role behind a desk training the guys going overseas and supporting them. Wasn't for me. But proud to have served.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Truck bag came in. Size is 14”L x 13.5”W x 10”H (31 liters). Nelson Rigg. Purpose of this bag is to hold rain gear and anything else I think of until I get the side boxes. Nicely packed and fit's just perfect. Here are some pictures.
Carnivore Dog Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Road surface Sleeve T-shirt Grey Asphalt
Product Gas Bag Luggage and bags Chair
Sleeve Grey Finger Automotive tire Personal protective equipment
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Grey Luggage and bags Bag Gas Comfort
Luggage and bags Bag Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
They are unexciting, couple that with a MASSIVE DOSE of USMC and the experience can actually be a negative one. The US Military has an uncanny ability to take things that are fun and make them tenuous. With that said I would like to have one of the military bikes to put next to my Zodiac F470 boat.
Built to look the part, last and keep going, not built for comfort. Would rather ride the distance then have to walk it carrying the 80kg odd of weight we usually carry on patrols. Doing 120km marches and patrols carrying that weight is a bit tiring. Our Army has got some old American DUKW, they look cool, can drive on road, off road and can also go over water. Been on a few of them and would gladly have one in my shed.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Built to look the part, last and keep going, not built for comfort. Would rather ride the distance then have to walk it carrying the 80kg odd of weight we usually carry on patrols. Doing 120km marches and patrols carrying that weight is a bit tiring. Our Army has got some old American DUKW, they look cool, can drive on road, off road and can also go over water. Been on a few of them and would gladly have one in my shed.
That reminds me of our Hummers that we had in Qatar. I would see them lined up against the side of the chow hall, because the cops always got priority parking in case they had to defend the base. I used to get excited to see them until the cops told me they hate them. The air conditioners always break, important in the desert. The seats are military grade frames with some padding that was always torn and they broke down a lot. Man it was a letdown. The 50 caliber machine gun on top was pretty bad ass though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts