Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
298 Posts
That reminds me of our Hummers that we had in Qatar. I would see them lined up against the side of the chow hall, because the cops always got priority parking in case they had to defend the base. I used to get excited to see them until the cops told me they hate them. The air conditioners always break, important in the desert. The seats are military grade frames with some padding that was always torn and they broke down a lot. Man it was a letdown. The 50 caliber machine gun on top was pretty bad ass though.
Was never a fan of the Hummer. Been in a few, they are not comfy at all. We have Bushmasters in Australia, they are awesome. Massive tyres, carry 8 people, plus the best bit, a remote controlled chain gun on top.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sure. We can get her in the next round of pics. The windshield comes today and I am sure she will want to be part of the unpacking. Ever since chewy.com started dropping packages off at my house all "new" items must be thoroughly sniffed. If you never had a German Shepard you wouldn't understand just how involved they want to be in your life. All doors must be open in the house so she can patrol at night and god forbid you think you can go to the bathroom by yourself lol.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok here comes the wind shield. I put it on and did a trip down the roads by me. At 65 there was NO head buffeting. None. I am 5'll. I am going to do a highway run today and I will report back. This is the mid sized V-Stream windshield. It took one minute to swap. I will say it will change the look of the bike. I only rode it 3 times in the last few days so the look of the shorter OEM shield is not burned in my brain. I swapped it and drove it and then my neighboor wanted to see the bike. We sat there with his kids climbing on it after it cooled down and I didn't even notice the size change. I will say that people say its like night and day. I will say it's like having a whole new bike! At 65 no wind was hitting me and going up the bottom crack of the helmet and the ride was way way nicer and quiet. I will reserve any more comments until after my highway ride in a few hours. Each to his own on here but when I head to Colorado and hit the mountain trails I might swap back to OEM just to not scratch this guy on the trails. More to come on the ride quality. There is one before and after pic in here. I did lay the new shield on the old so you can see through it to see the size difference.
Dog Wood Carnivore Dog breed Flooring

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Dog Carnivore Whiskers Fawn German shepherd dog

Attachments

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I will toss in that I might be upgrading the cell phone mount to something that has a vibration damper on it. I ran across some posts on here where the vibration of the KLR will kill a new phones camera. I might take off this mount and transfer it to the goldwing which has like almost no handle bar vibration. I will be researching that tonight.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
Ok here comes the wind shield. I put it on and did a trip down the roads by me. At 65 there was NO head buffeting. None. I am 5'll. I am going to do a highway run today and I will report back. This is the mid sized V-Stream windshield. It took one minute to swap. I will say it will change the look of the bike. I only rode it 3 times in the last few days so the look of the shorter OEM shield is not burned in my brain. I swapped it and drove it and then my neighboor wanted to see the bike. We sat there with his kids climbing on it after it cooled down and I didn't even notice the size change. I will say that people say its like night and day. I will say it's like having a whole new bike! At 65 no wind was hitting me and going up the bottom crack of the helmet and the ride was way way nicer and quiet. I will reserve any more comments until after my highway ride in a few hours. Each to his own on here but when I head to Colorado and hit the mountain trails I might swap back to OEM just to not scratch this guy on the trails. More to come on the ride quality. There is one before and after pic in here. I did lay the new shield on the old so you can see through it to see the size difference. View attachment 39294
View attachment 39296 View attachment 39297 View attachment 39298 View attachment 39299 View attachment 39300 View attachment 39301 View attachment 39302 View attachment 39303
I picked up the same one! Winter is trying to bury us in SNOW right now so..... I'm looking forward to trying it out when it's less white (Snow Bank on the corner is 3/4ths the way up the street sign post). I've shrunk to about 6' tall these days. I went with the middle height as well. It does look good on the bike!

Good looking Pup too!

Willie

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Snow? Brrrr. I’m sitting in the always delicious Taco Bell right now wearing a wind breaker because it’s 76 today. I hate when my toes get cold in my flip flops! The highway ride was 100% different. Wow. Air on the mid size shield hits the very top of my head at 75. That’s really my crusing speed for the whole 15 mins I need to be on it to get to work. Only buffeting I got was when I was getting slip stream from a truck. Got to expect something. Side streets are even better. The air goes over my head 100%. Kicks to the left and right of my shoulders . Now the question I had is should anyone get the tall version? I would say yes if you are more highway all the time. More height is better. I think tall looks too odd for me. That was the first thing I noticed. I am very happy with the mid sized. I am looking for some discrete air deflectors for between the windshield and the hand protectors. The African twin has them as after market. I might pick up a used one of those next year. I warned my wife I have only about 10 more years of being active and I want to enjoy every second. My family tends to have back issues in the later parts of life. Got to ride while I can enjoy it. Stay safe in the snow! Post a pic if you get lots!! I like to look at it not live in it! :)

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange KLR650
64 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what tailbag is that, and where did you get it? It looks like it fits pretty well. It's a little larger than what I'm using and I like it.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
Can you post a link for that wee-strom windshield??

Reactions: LeviCurr

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

· Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the review. They owe you a commission. Based on your review, I bought the lightly tinted windscreen shown below.

I found it is a little bit cheaper on eBay. $146 shipped. Saves the shipping cost at least

If you want to save a little more money there is the lightly tinted one for $128 shipped

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for the review. They owe you a commission. Based on your review, I bought the lightly tinted windscreen shown below.

I found it is a little bit cheaper on eBay. $146 shipped. Saves the shipping cost at least

If you want to save a little more money there is the lightly tinted one for $128 shipped

To be clear the video was not me but I have to say my biggest issue with the KLR was wind since I have a bit of highway drive to get to work. I just kind of thought something could be done to at least stop my head from bobbing around.

I took my first trip to work on the KLR yesterday with the new windshield and there was no head buffeting at all. Only in the slip stream of a semi did I get a bit of wobble but that’s to be expected when passing a truck.

The best part is you can swap to back to oem in like 60 seconds. I might do that when I trail ride.

I think these bikes mean different things to different people. Some people might like it just how it is and that’s ok. I just found at my height and how I sit in the seat I wasn’t happy.

I also found the sweet spot for driving is like 50 to 65. When I do that speed around town I am sitting in a dead air bubble. The air is just slipping around my shoulders. You can flip your visor on your helmet up and it doesn’t blow down. I ride with sunglasses on and sometimes I like riding with the visor up.

Anyway I hope you’re as satisfied as I am.

I do really enjoy riding the KLR. I like the feeling that if the [email protected] hits the fan I am nimble enough to ride the shoulder or have the traction to ride in the grass to get myself out of a sticky situation. I had some idiot tailgate me last week and when I started waving at him to back off he got closer. I lane split a few cars at the stop light and made my turn. He was stuck at the light and I was able to de-escalate the situation with ease. Had I been in my Goldwing I would never have fit in those gaps. Nice to have a go anywhere bike. :)

· Registered
223 Posts
I had a BMW 1150 cop bike. It had a push button adjustable wind screen. When the wind screen was down, it was full wind in the face misery. When it was adjusted up you didn't even need eye protection. I have to admit that bike was the most comfortable well riding bike I have ever ridden. If it had 2 seats I would still own it.
Now on the KLR, I bought the bike, adjusted the wind screen on the bike up, Still a very windy ride. I bought a great product recommended by a member here that moved the windscreen forward, that helped but still a very windy ride. Now I will install the New Reshaped windscreen and hope it is as good as the BMW cop bikes was.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had a BMW 1150 cop bike. It had a push button adjustable wind screen. When the wind screen was down, it was full wind in the face misery. When it was adjusted up you didn't even need eye protection. I have to admit that bike was the most comfortable well riding bike I have ever ridden. If it had 2 seats I would still own it.
Now on the KLR, I bought the bike, adjusted the wind screen on the bike up, Still a very windy ride. I bought a great product recommended by a member here that moved the windscreen forward, that helped but still a very windy ride. Now I will install the New Reshaped windscreen and hope it is as good as the BMW cop bikes was.
I have seen the wind screen risers but I just didn’t think that the actual oem screen was big enough. If you bought what I bought you will be happy.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Then you’re going to love it. Not sure what you expect but I came from an 06 goldwing which had ultimate protection. The only thing that you’re going to notice is loss of thermal heat from the wind on your legs. That’s easy to fix with riding gear.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
I have seen the wind screen risers but I just didn’t think that the actual oem screen was big enough. If you bought what I bought you will be happy.
They are a good looking Windshield too! I think they look better than the OEM Windshield. With my world being more white and slippery than is proactive for "This Old Gimp" to be riding, I'm sooooo looking forward to my first dry road day to give my "Mid-height" version a try!

The Mid-height is a nice looking height too, as it is well proportioned with the Mirror height. Tall enough where it looks like it will protect me and not so tall it looks like I slapped an old school 1970's "Wind-Jammer" on my KLR!

Willie

21 - 40 of 53 Posts