Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey question for the guys running aftermarket exhausts. What kind are you running? Is it full exhaust with header? Or just muffler? After installing that what is needed to be changed on the motor? Like fueling time or something? My buddy has a kawi 250 and said when he installed the full aftermarket exhaust and air intake he also had to install a jet kit??? Sry I'm new to carbed motors.:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I installed a full fmf system. Used the q4 muffler with the power bomb header. I have a k&n air filter and had to up the jetting to a 148 from the stock 145 jet. Also bumped up the idle jet to a 42 from a 40. The idle jet greatly helped me with cold starting. Am looking to ditch the k&n for a foam filter soon. Also while your in there do the .22 mod. Will really bring the bike to life.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kool sounds great. Anymore input from someone else? How hard is it to change out these parts? I've worked on cars so I do have some mechanic skills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
euroemkay2,

I just purchased FMF Powercore 4 slip-on for my '09 along with FMF jetting kit. I run a stock air filter with snorkel removed and holes drilled in box..should have it mid next week and will let ya know how I like it... I always had good luck with FMF in the past (quads, mx)

birddog

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can spend big $$$ on mufflers, and headers for very little gain. I am not trying to tell you not to do it, or anything like that. But i would work out what sort of power i wanted from my bike, then work out which pipe header will give me that power. EG low down, mid range, or up high, its no good having big #s at 6500 if you change gears at 5500.A Big Gun will give you low down power.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I changed to a Vance and Hines XCR and rejetted with the Moose Stage 1 kit. Then I spent a weekend chasing bypass valve issues and fuel vacuum issues (kinked petcock hose and sticky gas cap vent valve). It's loud but still cheaper than replacing with another stock pipe. There is more top-end but less low-end torque and the gas mileage is slightly worse.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Horsepower and torque are affected by several factors. In this case, the exhaust system appears to be less backpressure or the backpressure wave is more prevelant at higher (rather than lower) RPMs. In any case, I suspect the change of backpressure wave results in lower torque. I'm still chasing the perfect jetting, but that's around 3500-4500 rpm not in the sub-3500s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
just a heads up, I rode behine a guy the other day with "Big Gun" exhaust and it was so loud it hurt. after most of the group we were riding with had made some comment or another about it. the guy decided to ride in the back and says he's going to modify the exhaust to make it quiet. Believe it or not it was louder than a Harley Davidson with straight pipes. I know I ride behind harleys a lot. I wouldn't reccomend that exhaust to anyone that isn't riding solo 99% of the time. just fyi, I'm running a stock exhaust on a gen 1 klr and have no plans to change it unless it malfunctions in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts