Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the exhaust side panel pad, burn the surface of the high temperature pad attached to the inside panel cover on the exhaust side? After mounting a saddle bag or carrying a passenger, the pressure applied to the side panel transfers more applied pressure to the hot exhaust pipe causing the metallic surface to burn off of the high temperature pad. Any advise of an upgrade to solve this problem would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know there are racks made for the KLR to keep soft luggage off those side panels.

There are several like these from Happy Trails:
Kawasaki KLR650 OSR Side Racks soft luggage - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers

SW Motech has a slightly different layout:
SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection DAKAR Waterproof Soft Saddlebags & Mounts for Kawasaki KLR650 '08-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com

Some have shelves to support soft luggage:
https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_161_162&products_id=593

I believe there is also a brand of soft luggage that mounts high so pressure is entirely on the seat.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Yep, you need to keep pressure off the sideplate; if it contacts the muffler it will melt. For saddlebags that means racks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I insulated the muffler; covered the insulation with a 5" diameter pipe sleeve and used a 1/2" pipe as a standoff to keep plastic and bags away for air circulation.

You could just wrap some exhaust pipe insulation around a 1/2" pipe and hose clamp it in place to keep plastic away from the muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems very good and effective. Would it be recommended to keep the additional heat insulation attached to the plastic side panel cover or would it add too much thickness?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Seems very good and effective. Would it be recommended to keep the additional heat insulation attached to the plastic side panel cover or would it add too much thickness?
The plastic it flexible. An eighth inch of insulation won't make any difference.

Before I did the insulation and standoff work I melted part of the side cover on my 2008 KLR and melted a tube in the saddle bag on that side. Now, with this arrangement on both my KLRs, I have had no problems over more than 50,000 miles of long distance travel.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
This happened to my 89 KLR when I had too much stuff strapped tightly against the side cover.

This GL guard could come in handy for this kind of protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pictures and information. Should the insulation be removed and replaced with the Giant Loop Exhaust Guard under the side cover or positioned on the exhaust contacting the cover insulation? Would a high temperature silicone with the insulation be effective against melt down of side cover? Greatly thanks again for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts